lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-18-2015, 02:41 PM   #1
esizemo
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Harbor Freight cylinder hone?

Anyone have any input on harbor freight cylinder hone? I am rebuilding my g16 and I'm planning on honing the cylinder which is in good condition. I figure it would not take long given it's condition. Any input on honing technique is also appreciated.
esizemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-18-2015, 06:46 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Harbor Freight cylinder hone?

I see no reason a Harbor Freight hone wont work. The stones and spring mechanisim will not last as long as higher dollar hones. How many times you plan on using it? As for using it, clean cylinder of all oil/grease. I use a cordless drill. Start on low speed and work up and down the bore. Sometimes you must clean the stones from the build up they get. I've also found, reversing the drill can give you a nice "cross hatch" hone on the cylinder. Just what you need to get those new rings to seal!
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:51 PM   #3
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
I see no reason a Harbor Freight hone wont work. The stones and spring mechanisim will not last as long as higher dollar hones. How many times you plan on using it? As for using it, clean cylinder of all oil/grease. I use a cordless drill. Start on low speed and work up and down the bore. Sometimes you must clean the stones from the build up they get. I've also found, reversing the drill can give you a nice "cross hatch" hone on the cylinder. Just what you need to get those new rings to seal!
I have one and it works fine.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:07 PM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Now would I buy a torque wrench from Harbor Frieght....I don't think so. But that's just me.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:35 PM   #5
Field6565
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
Now would I buy a torque wrench from Harbor Frieght....I don't think so. But that's just me.
I don't blame you at all. I just rebuilt the top end on my buddies G1 last week. I did a compression test after the rebuild using a Harbor freight tester. It was about 25 psi off. Just to verify the inaccurate reading I tested one of my G1s and it was also off. It's hit and miss with their tools. You just have to know what is good and what is junk.
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:56 PM   #6
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Funny just the other day I got to thinking my air impact gun was the first thing I bought from HF in the early 80's when the were just a west coast catalog co. Bought it for less than $20 with free shipping, still using it today.Electric power tools not so good.The other gem is auto darkning welding helmet.Had mine forever and it still works great.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:56 AM   #7
esizemo
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks Smallblock450sl. I have been getting a lot of useful info from your replies through out the forum.
esizemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:38 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Air tools are not as powerful as a name brand one, but for the money, not bad. I used to love their ball-socket-type universal joints for rachets. Nowdays, Their stuff that plugs into the wall is usually mediocre at best. I do have their drill press from the 80's, still kicking. Their dremel type stuff is bad, better off taking a yard sale risk on a name brand one. Their rachet/socket/wrench stuff is very much "entry level" stuff. As noted above, welding helmet is the best deal in town.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:18 PM   #9
LimitedEdition
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I have learned over the years to be selective about what I buy at Harbor Freight. I have a shop press and a rigid pipe bender that have worked out well for me. I take advantage of the selection of the pre packed items (E-Clips, spring clips, rolled pins, set screws, Hitch Clips, Cotter Pins) assortment packs. I have had good luck with some of their electric hand tools also, just don’t expect much out of the accessories that come with them, (bits, blades, and cutoff wheels). I will replace them with a better quality brand and then the tool works just fine. A friend of mine runs a crew of guys and he says the less expensive tools work for him because his guys tend to loose, brake, or steal them. Over the years I have just thrown some of the stuff away because it was junk.
LimitedEdition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:38 AM   #10
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Can't beat the prices on angle grinder and metal cutting disks.If one goes bad go buy another for $10 or so.Some of the wrench sets are also nice.Not so with the socket sets.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha