lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-05-2015, 07:07 PM   #1
Dpower
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default G8 problems

Yamaha G8 engine gets very hot and act like it's running lean sporadic. Carburetor has been replaced, airbox sealed up tight, muffler is clear, valve adjustment spot on, very good compression but still doing it. I'm thinking now it's the spark advance module. Any thoughts? I have checked everything and if one of my G9 modules would work I would have tried that...
Dpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-06-2015, 07:20 AM   #2
Mr. Mike
It's Beer Time!

Yamaha

Default Re: G8 problems

Have you checked the plastic cover over the flywheel? That cover sometimes gets gunked up with crap and restricts airflow around the engine.

Also when you say the carburetor was replaced, did you use an aftermarket carb? The jets might be a pinch too small which can cause a lean condition and excessive heat.
Mr. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:32 AM   #3
Dpower
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Blower screen is clear and tried three different new carbs, 2 were oem mikuni one was Chinese mikuni or whatever they call it. It's intermittent but getting worse. Not fuel has new pump new filter and all lines are good
Old 10-06-2015, 08:48 AM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

What spark plug you running?
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:53 AM   #5
Mr. Mike
It's Beer Time!

Yamaha

Ok. When you say the engine gets hot how hot do you mean? Glowing red hot? Have you replaced the carb spacer? That spacer is notorious for cracking. Plus if you've replace the carburetor that many times then there's a good chance that it cracked. Over tighten the carb just a little too much and crack!

Also possible crank seals.

Try spraying starting fluid around certain areas while it's running. If there's an air leak the engine will rev up a little when it sucks in the ether.

Spark advance module...not sure what that is? Do you mean the ignitor? Somebody else should chime in soon.

Smallblock to the rescue!
Old 10-06-2015, 11:48 AM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

4 strokes are not susceptable to "burning up" due to bad crank seals like 2 stroke are (because of running lean). On a 4 stroke, its just an oil leak.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:12 PM   #7
Mr. Mike
It's Beer Time!

Yamaha

Yeah but running lean can cause excessive heat regardless if it's 2 stroke or 4 stroke. So if it's getting excess air anywhere it can cause a lean condition.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:00 PM   #8
Dpower
Getting Wild

Yamaha

It's a 4 stroke and yes new carb spacer. I keep those on hand hot as in muffler is discolored and you can feel the heat coming out of engine bay. I own 2 g9s so I am very familiar with how this engine should run heat wise and performance wise but it has a different ignition than my g9s
Old 10-07-2015, 01:40 AM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Bad ignitor will cause low power & "super hot" exhaust sometimes. (seems like late timing to me)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:24 PM   #10
Dpower
Getting Wild

Yamaha

That's what I was thinking but know there is a lot of years of experience on this site and was looking for input before I bought one
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha