lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-13-2016, 08:44 PM   #1
jgrimes3
Not Yet Wild

Default Slow up hill

I have a Melex 512 G that I have put a new driven clutch for a club car on it. It has good speed on flat ground but slows way down going up hill. The motor was replaced and only has around 100 hours on it. I was told the driven clutch was designed for 1 inch wide belt but it has a 7/8 now. My question is how much slack should a belt have? How wide of gap is needed for the belt for the drive clutch not to catch when it is idling? Thanks
jgrimes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-15-2016, 11:30 AM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: Slow up hill

The belt should have a good amount of slack. On Club Cars, you should be able to remove the belt without any tools, if that tells you anything. I'd also go with the 1" belt. That could definitely have an effect on your hill-climbing.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:37 AM   #3
gwunited2
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
The belt should have a good amount of slack. On Club Cars, you should be able to remove the belt without any tools, if that tells you anything. I'd also go with the 1" belt. That could definitely have an effect on your hill-climbing.
I didn't know that Springbok. My cart has been working fine for the past couple of years and tops out at 16-17 mph. It has a lift and oversized tires so I figured it would be a little faster. This past year I have noticed that it will not go uphill with multiple people on the cart (was working fine last year though). So loosening up the belt will help you think? I have the belt very tight.
gwunited2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:28 PM   #4
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

If you have it very tight, by all means loosen it. It should just be hanging there. I imagine that by tightening the belt, you're forcing to motor to work harder to get that belt to rise as the clutch sheaves contract.

My cart (stock 1987 Club Car with stock 8hp motor on 22.5" tires) will top out at around 22-23mph. You may still have trouble cresting hills while loaded due to your oversize tires, but you can get your driven (rear) clutch machined to adjust the power band for about $100 with Cart Parts Plus. I had mine done and it helped my climbing ability.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:46 PM   #5
gwunited2
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I wanted to have my clutch worked in and actually attempted removing it. That sucker didn't budge. I tried the 2x4 method and nothing happened. I'm afraid I'll have to cut it off.
gwunited2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:12 AM   #6
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwunited2 View Post
I wanted to have my clutch worked in and actually attempted removing it. That sucker didn't budge. I tried the 2x4 method and nothing happened. I'm afraid I'll have to cut it off.
Been there...done that. Never want to do it again:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...nightmare.html

I hope yours comes off easier than mine!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car