lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-20-2016, 01:59 PM   #1
OgreTX
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default My Buddy's G1 is HAUNTED !

My friend asked me to work on his G1 to see if I could figure out why the battery keeps going dead. He has a new adjustable VR. First of all the Negative fuse was blown, so I replaced it.

After jacking it up, and putting it on jack stands, I disconnected the black/white connection so I could keep it running and check out the voltage. The idle was way too high, so I adjusted it down to a close proximity of the correct spec.

While getting ready to measure the voltage coming from the VR, the cart accelerated to almost WOT. I watched and listened and after a few seconds it decelerated back to idle. I went back to removing the cover from the VR, and it accelerated again to WOT.

I watched closely, and the throttle linkage did NOT move. That's right ... no additional fuel/air was added, but it was accelerating anyway. WTH!?

I'll get back to the VR after I figure out how an engine can accelerate with no fuel/air changes. Any ideas what may be happening?

Thanks for ANY ideas,
Ogre
OgreTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-20-2016, 07:03 PM   #2
Cvans
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: My Buddy's G1 is HAUNTED !

I'd be looking for an air leak in the intake system or shaft seals. With no load on the drive system it doesn't take much to cause a drastic change in RPM's.
Cvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:15 AM   #3
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Default Re: My Buddy's G1 is HAUNTED !

The crankshaft seals are gone. I had the same thing happen to me with an old snowmobile engine. Pulling the spark plug wire off at 5-6000 rpm is not fun.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha