lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-03-2016, 05:22 PM   #1
BIGBUELLRIDER
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Yamaha G1 not firing

I have a Yamaha G1 that won't fire up. I checked the ignition coil and it was not producing any spark on the spark plug. I assumed it was the ignition coil, so I bought a new one and installed it. There is still no spark at the plug. I put a volt meter on it and it reads .52. I check my other G1 and it reads at 5.+. I need some help guys. What do I need to do?
BIGBUELLRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-03-2016, 08:30 PM   #2
Molon Labe
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G1 not firing

Did you check the connections from the stator to the ignition for corrosion? On my 82 it is an orange wire and a black wire going to the ignition. My guess would be a ground issue since you are still getting a reading. Just my 2 cents on where I would start looking on this one.
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:33 PM   #3
Molon Labe
Gone Wild

Yamaha

And double check that the plug it isn't the problem. I dropped one before and couldn't figure out why I couldn't get spark
Old 08-03-2016, 09:15 PM   #4
BIGBUELLRIDER
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I have not, but thank you I will!
Old 08-04-2016, 03:52 PM   #5
BIGBUELLRIDER
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I didn't want to keep blowing up that post with questions and feel stupid.

I traced the black and orange wires. They go to a small black box behind where the battery sits? I don't know what that is or if that's the issue? I don't know much about golf carts so I'm kinda working blind here. Any help is greatly appreciated. When I bought the new ignition coil, the parts place told me to line up the coil with the fly wheel, that the wheel is magnetic and it helps generate the power needed for the spark. I've taken the plastic off the top and moved the wheel and I don't see anything. I see what looks like a fan blade at the bottom, but that's it. Nothing magnetic.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:24 PM   #6
Molon Labe
Gone Wild

Yamaha

There should be 4 wires coming out of the engine case below the fan. The wires go to the cdi (black is ground). Then out of the cdi you will have 2 wires (orange and black) that go to your ignition coil (black is ground). Not sure why the parts guy told you to line up your coil with the flywheel. The only reasons to remove the magneto would be to change the crank seal or mess with the timing. It sounds to me like you might have a bad CDI or a ground problem. I would look at those wires for any corrosion at the connections, any spots on the wire where the insulation might have rubbed away against the frame, ground connections, etc. If the wires look good and you have a good ground I would start to suspect the CDI.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:17 PM   #7
BIGBUELLRIDER
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Ok now my question is what is a CDI? Lol.
Again sorry for all the questions.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:35 PM   #8
Molon Labe
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Capacitor Discharge Ignition. I know what they are but I'm not sure how they work internally. Hopefully someone else can chime in with more info on that one. I'm not sure if there's a way to test it or not because I've never had to. There's a good thread in the stickies about making a cheap cdi.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:11 PM   #9
BIGBUELLRIDER
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

So it sounds like it may be the CDI.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:21 AM   #10
BIGBUELLRIDER
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

How do I perform a check to see if the CDI is good or bad
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha