lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-18-2016, 05:05 PM   #1
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Solenoid question

hey,

Today I was jumping out a G22E solenoid with a battery cable to do a quick test on it and it really sparked up on me. And yes, I was making contact with the correct posts. It sparked More so than seems usual, as I have jumped quite a few golf cart solenoids and i usually just get a brief spark and that's it. Is that not normal or am I just going crazy...
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-18-2016, 05:27 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Solenoid question

Does the solenoid have a precharge resistor on it? That should eliminate most of the sparking unless there is a fault in the controller.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:47 PM   #3
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

hey,

Ahh I believe it does not....so your saying that may indicate a sign that the controller is not working? sounds right to me considering I already verified the batteries, the stop switch at the pedal, key switch, even the f/r switch. I also already checked all wires of importance for breaks.

-steve
Old 08-18-2016, 05:54 PM   #4
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I did not do a voltage test on the solenoid yet so it is still on my suspect list
Old 08-18-2016, 07:25 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

48v yamahas dont use a precharge resistor, its done through the tow-run switch. also, "Yamahaguy", you really ought to get a yamaha Z-2 tester. 99% of your "is the drive system working?" questions will be instantly (& visually or audibly) answered by it. all cart manufacturers should sell a device like a Z-2 tester for their carts.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:03 PM   #6
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

hey,

cgtech I will keep that in mind

but hey give me a hand here if you would,

I have a G22 electric car, batteries are confirmed ok. Does not run at all, nor do I hear the activation when I flip the tow/run switch back to run. Tried to jump the solenoid with no results (will do voltage test on it tomorrow). I switched out the pedal stop switch and checked the harness it goes to, and the key switch. All i found so far was a broken ring terminal for the main positive, but i repaired it. Are you thinking solenoid or controller??

please throw your expertise my way

-steve
Old 08-18-2016, 11:32 PM   #7
cgtech

Yamaha

first, check tow/run input into controller. if thats good and still no inital click when tow/run to Run, then put test meter on solenoid small terminals and check for pack voltage when switch flipped to run (will only go on for a few seconds). if nothing with test leads on small terminals of solenoid. probably bad controller. small red wire on small solenoid terminal should be hot whenever "Run" on. black small wire at solenoid small terminal should be pulled low (B-) whenever controller is commanding solenoid on. key, pedal switches dont have any direct control of solenoid activation, the controller has full control of when solenoid is on (and a bad controller will usually never command the solenoid "on").
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150818_123841_001.jpg (71.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-19-2016, 07:09 AM   #8
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
first, check tow/run input into controller. if thats good and still no inital click when tow/run to Run, then put test meter on solenoid small terminals and check for pack voltage when switch flipped to run (will only go on for a few seconds). if nothing with test leads on small terminals of solenoid. probably bad controller. small red wire on small solenoid terminal should be hot whenever "Run" on. black small wire at solenoid small terminal should be pulled low (B-) whenever controller is commanding solenoid on. key, pedal switches dont have any direct control of solenoid activation, the controller has full control of when solenoid is on (and a bad controller will usually never command the solenoid "on").
Hey

Thanks cgtech that's what I was leaning to also

-Steve
Old 08-19-2016, 04:25 PM   #9
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

hey,

Ahh, replaced the controller and heard the wonderful reverse buzzer kick on, and that was that. Its really gratifying when stuff gets fixed
Old 08-19-2016, 07:35 PM   #10
cgtech

Yamaha

yep, makes you and the customer happy.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha