lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-21-2016, 01:20 AM   #1
Skoobyj
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Oh! That's why we don't use cheap clutch pullers!

Wanted a drive clutch puller but didn't want to spend $50 so I bought one online for $15.99 shipped. Now I know why I should have searched for a better deal on the good puller. Oh it got the clutch off after a trip to the hardware store for a new bolt. I literally spent the day getting a clutch off

See pics...

DSCF9549.JPG

DSCF9548.JPG

DSCF9546.JPG

DSCF9544.JPG

DSCF9543.JPG

As you can see i tried doing it the way the instructions that came with the puller said with a wrench and a hammer but I found out early on that was a bad idea because the wrench wouldn't fit the bolt head after I mushroomed it with a hammer. Tried a block of wood at first but that wasn't enough force.
Went to hardware store got a longer bolt and used my impact... For hours in and out tried penetrating oil, let it soak. Tried the hydraulic method with thread tape. Only thing I didn't try was heat. Finally it came off, sorta...
The puller end was jammed in my crank hole and was jammed, wedged, locked inside the clutch so worked it out with a hammer and a 2x4 then had to pound the puller tool on through the clutch to get it out. What a night mirror.
Hope this info saves someone else a headache. Now, where is the cheapest good tool at so I can buy it?
Thanks
Skoobyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-21-2016, 01:21 AM   #2
Skoobyj
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Oh! That's why we don't use cheap clutch pullers!

Crap i meant to post this on gas club car can someone move it? Sorry and thanks.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:49 AM   #3
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Yeah... so much for saving money on the puller... right?
I spent the extra cash on a commercial grade clutch puller at Cart Parts Plus, (because I tried the "homemade" way, and the same thing happened to me!)
granted I've only used it maybe 3 times in the last 8 years, but it's still WELL worth it when the clutch pops off in less than 5 minutes!

http://www.cartpartsplus.com/club-ca...lutch%20puller
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:56 AM   #4
Ant-Knee
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoobyj View Post
Wanted a drive clutch puller but didn't want to spend $50 so I bought one online for $15.99 shipped. Now I know why I should have searched for a better deal on the good puller. Oh it got the clutch off after a trip to the hardware store for a new bolt. I literally spent the day getting a clutch off

See pics...

Attachment 140448

Attachment 140449

Attachment 140450

Attachment 140447

Attachment 140446

As you can see i tried doing it the way the instructions that came with the puller said with a wrench and a hammer but I found out early on that was a bad idea because the wrench wouldn't fit the bolt head after I mushroomed it with a hammer. Tried a block of wood at first but that wasn't enough force.
Went to hardware store got a longer bolt and used my impact... For hours in and out tried penetrating oil, let it soak. Tried the hydraulic method with thread tape. Only thing I didn't try was heat. Finally it came off, sorta...
The puller end was jammed in my crank hole and was jammed, wedged, locked inside the clutch so worked it out with a hammer and a 2x4 then had to pound the puller tool on through the clutch to get it out. What a night mirror.
Hope this info saves someone else a headache. Now, where is the cheapest good tool at so I can buy it?
Thanks

Did you pick that tool up on e-bay???
I saw them and passed on it... I bit the bullet and bought the $50 one and had the clutch off in a minute...
The correct tools make all the difference in the world...

Thanks,

Ant...
Ant-Knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:11 AM   #5
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Its crazy I know. I see it all the time. In an effort to save 35 bucks you wasted 75.

I have posted on my truck " do it right, cry once" It holds so true in todays world. Golf car parts in particular have just become junk. Aftermarket stuff is just junk and doesn't last.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:27 PM   #6
Skoobyj
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Yea I got it on eBay. I know better than to buy the cheap stuff. I ALWAYS end up regretting it.
Thanks for the link I am going to buy one.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:09 PM   #7
cruisinkruty
Gone Wild
Club Car

I used the cheap puller a few times. I got a good grade 8 bolt. I snug everything up nice and tight and then use my air hammer with a large flat end chisel and just burp the end of it a few times They literally fly off!
cruisinkruty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:20 PM   #8
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

No offense, but with the proper puller, the only thing that should require "burping" is your belly after you drank a beer!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:47 AM   #9
Skoobyj
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Just ordered the good one, thanks for the link!
So any tips or instructions? Can I hit it with the air impact?

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2016, 05:11 AM   #10
Ant-Knee
Gone Wild
Club Car

Yup, It will fall right off...
just hope you didn't damage the threads on your crank...

Good Luck,

Ant...
Ant-Knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car