lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-19-2016, 10:53 PM   #1
Dlab
Gone Wild

Default Acid leak during charging?

36vt Resistor Club Car, Club Car Accu Charger, US Batteries.

It seems that if I run the cart hard, and it charges a bit longer there is always some acid overflow on top the batteries. What causes this? Admittedly I probably need new batteries, but they get the job done for now.

Is it a charger issue? Or the batteries?

Thanks in advance
Dlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-20-2016, 06:44 AM   #2
Roxyflash
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Acid leak during charging?

How full are the cells?they should not be in the well of cap just below the well other then that at what voltage does the charger get when its shut down?i dont like us batteries are leaking from the post area?
Roxyflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:32 PM   #3
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlab View Post
36vt Resistor Club Car, Club Car Accu Charger, US Batteries.

It seems that if I run the cart hard, and it charges a bit longer there is always some acid overflow on top the batteries. What causes this? Admittedly I probably need new batteries, but they get the job done for now.

Is it a charger issue? Or the batteries?

Thanks in advance
Batteries that are over-filled up into the neck area tend to spill over during the charge. The level should not be more than 1/4" to 3/8" above the top of the plates... Also batteries that are no longer accepting charge like they are supposed to (old, weak etc) also tend to have spillage issues...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 02:56 PM   #4
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

Quote:
The level should not be more than 1/4" to 3/8" above the top of the plates...
when i was new to carting i filled my batteries to the split neck just like you use to fill a car battery
i always had water on top of the batteries and acid mess on the frame and floor of my garage

as teecro says 1/4'' over the plates is good
i installed new batteries 6 mths ago and they have not needed any water since new
still 1/4'' over the plates
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:38 AM   #5
Timinator
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

FWIW, every cart I've had has bubbled out a bit during charging, especially when the water has been topped off prior ( I try to do it after charging, but the next time they're still too full). I use a pump sprayer with baking soda and water mix and spray it all over the batteries and surrounding area. I spray from underneath too. You'll see where all the built-up acid accumulates and it will bubble. Keep spraying till no more bubbles. I try and do this every few months.
Timinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car