lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-22-2017, 05:31 PM   #1
browerjs
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Removing steering wheel

I can't for the life of me get the steering wheel of my TXT. I've tried banging on the back of it with a rubber mallet but it doesn't want to budge. Any hints?
browerjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-22-2017, 05:37 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Removing steering wheel

Cut the center hub and drive a wedge into the cut then strike it with a mallet from the underside.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:52 PM   #3
browerjs
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Cut the center hub and drive a wedge into the cut then strike it with a mallet from the underside.
So are you talking about cutting the steering wheel itself?
Old 06-22-2017, 05:55 PM   #4
stuball56
Not Yet Wild

I just did this today. I used a small length of 2x4 and a hammer, had to strike it a few times, there is also a very small screw on mine, don't know if it is a set screw or not, but take it out to be safe. The screw is small and located on the hub up next to the steering wheel. Let us know if you got the wheel off!
stuball56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:03 PM   #5
browerjs
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
I just did this today. I used a small length of 2x4 and a hammer, had to strike it a few times, there is also a very small screw on mine, don't know if it is a set screw or not, but take it out to be safe. The screw is small and located on the hub up next to the steering wheel. Let us know if you got the wheel off!
Where did you put the 2x4? I think I have the screw too,but I don't see a way to get it out.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:09 PM   #6
Crazy bob
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Back the nut off till it is flush with the top threads and take a 2 lb hammer and hit the nut while pulling up on wheel.
Crazy bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:18 PM   #7
browerjs
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy bob View Post
Back the nut off till it is flush with the top threads and take a 2 lb hammer and hit the nut while pulling up on wheel.
Not budging
Old 06-22-2017, 07:51 PM   #8
stuball56
Not Yet Wild

The screw I'm talking about is small, has a hex head as well as a screwdriver slot. Sort of like a sheet metal screw. Just under the steering wheel on the column.
stuball56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:24 PM   #9
browerjs
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
The screw I'm talking about is small, has a hex head as well as a screwdriver slot. Sort of like a sheet metal screw. Just under the steering wheel on the column.
I must not have that. If I shine a flashlight under the hub, I see what looks like a screw but nowhere to get it out.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:30 PM   #10
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Over the last couple days I've needed to take steering wheels off of 2 carts. One came off with a few side to side wiggles, the other I had to cut the wheel apart and use a bearing puller to remove the center metal hub that fits on the steering shaft splines. If you are replacing the wheel, don't be afraid to tear it apart. If you are trying to re-use the wheel, take your time, try the puling up on the wheel side to side to see if you can get any movement.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO