lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-21-2017, 04:06 AM   #1
Vonzipper5544
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Just idle when hot

Brand new and I have a TXT gas E-Z-go. The cart runs fine until it gets hot and you stop. Then it just idles in place. If I push it with my wife behind the wheel it will pick up and go when it reaches a higher speed. I have to jump on real quick. I have a new fuel pump and carburetor. I did tighten the governor spring a couple of years ago and this started happening. I have always thought it was the fuel pump not having enough vacuum but now I think it is governor related.
Vonzipper5544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-21-2017, 05:24 AM   #2
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Just idle when hot

Assuming you have the twin cylinder robin engine, Check valve gaps and reset to .004 when engine is cold. You will probably find the inlet valves only, will need adjustment.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:57 PM   #3
Vonzipper5544
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok, I have reset the valves to .004 and changed the spark clubs. Although the cart runs and sounds a lot better, it is still sluggish if it heats up and I stop. I can press the pedal all the way to the floor but it will only idle. If I barely press the pedal the cart will eventually pick up. If I drag my foot on the ground and get the cart going a little faster it will pick up and go. So, although I needed to make all the auditions and changes, I still have the problem. Is it the governor not letting the cart pick up or is it something not letting the fuel supply to be increased enough?
Old 09-26-2017, 02:54 AM   #4
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Ok, Valves and plugs are fine, then i expect the most likely culprit is with the intermediate jet or main jet. The intermediate jet is located on the top of the carb (looks like a brass screw) remove this and clean it really well. then spray carb cleaner through all the drillings associated with it thoroughly. That should cure slow pick up. If not, remove float bowl and then remove main jet and clean thoroughly too.

By the way, These engines start better with light pedal rather than trying to start on full throttle!
Old 09-26-2017, 10:39 PM   #5
Vonzipper5544
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Normally I would not question you on this one but I just installed a brand new carburetor and I have had this problem for a couple of years. Last year I replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter along with all the hoses, thinking this problem was related to the vacuum not being strong enough to suck the fuel into the carb. If the problem is related to clogged jets, then the old carb had clogged jets and the new one immediately got clogged jets after I installed it. Trouble is, the new carb did not change this problem at all.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:48 PM   #6
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Right. Although i have heard that the cheaper replacement carbs are known to be in need of a thorough cleaning before use, let's for now assume it is OK. My next suggestion is going to be a compression check. You will want to see no less than 120psi per cylinder, hopefully a fair bit more. Depending on the amount of hours your TXT has done, it may need new inlet valves. These are known to be needing regular adjustment and after a while, replacement. They were designed to wear down easily to prevent seat damage and usually the valve heads end up with very thin sharp edges and sunk into the head. This will cause a similar symptom to what you describe.

What year is your cart? how much did you pay for the new carb? and has your cart done a lot of hours running? If you take the valve cover off, how much have the middle two valves been adjusted compared to the two outer ones?. If a noticable difference in threads showing above the locknut, then inlet valves are definitely suspect.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:59 AM   #7
Vonzipper5544
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I just ran a compression test and found 115 in one cylinder and 110 in the other. I don't know what year the cart is because the registration plate was removed when I got it. I made him sign a bill of sale and he swore it was not stolen but you know how that goes. I did not want to pull the head cover back off so I don't know how uneven the valves are. I have not changed out the air filter yet. Could that do what it is doing. If it comes to a valve job, can any engine shop do that or would it be better to ship it somewhere. I don't have a valve spring tool or the lap stuff like I use to have.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:27 AM   #8
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Try running without the air filter for a while to see if it makes a difference. To do the valves you don't need a compressor tool. I just use my fingers lol. Lapping is not too important if the seats are still good although better to lap than not. It is definitely worth slipping the cover of the valves to check them as you don't need a new gasket!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO