lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-28-2017, 12:13 PM   #1
bryanrexford
Not Yet Wild

Default 99 DS Starting issue

I posted yesterday to a thread that sounded like the issue I was having, but I've done some more investigating and searching. Figured probably best just to start new.

I have a 99 DS with the FE290. If I put the throttle all the way down it just chugs and won't actually start. The generator just turns it over. If I let off the throttle to about 1/4 it'll take off. If I start at 1/4 or so it'll take right off. When I say right off that is with the caveat that when the starter/generator actually turns it over... sometimes it just like... gets caught and won't turn the motor over. The belt isn't spinning, the generator isn't spinning. It's just stuck if you will. Press the pedal a few times and it will start turning over.

I've replaced all micro switches, new plug, new carb, new battery. I have tested it and it is getting spark, just compression tested it and it read 160 (isn't that high?). Every part I change, no difference. I disabled the rev limiter, no change as well. I jumped the solenoid terminals and the same issue exists in reference to the starter/generator.

I suspect the starter/generator at this point, but the other threads and symptoms seem to be more consistent with them finding a 'deadspot' not being weak as I would describe it. The battery is brand new as well and tests well.

Thoughts? I think I may have two issues here... one being the carb being out of adjustment and whatever is going on with the starter/generator.

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
bryanrexford is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-28-2017, 11:56 PM   #2
bryanrexford
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 99 DS Starting issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanrexford View Post
I posted yesterday to a thread that sounded like the issue I was having, but I've done some more investigating and searching. Figured probably best just to start new.

I have a 99 DS with the FE290; my first cart. If I put the throttle all the way down it just chugs and won't actually start. The generator just turns it over. If I let off the throttle to about 1/4 it'll take off. If I start at 1/4 or so it'll take right off.

When I say right off that is with the caveat that when the starter/generator actually turns it over... sometimes it just... gets caught and won't turn the motor over. Like it doesn't have enough power. The belt isn't spinning, the generator isn't spinning. It's just stuck if you will. Press the pedal a few times and it will start turning over again.

I've replaced all micro switches, new plug, new carb, new battery. I have tested it and it is getting spark, just compression tested it and it read 160. Every part I change, no difference. I disabled the rev limiter, no change as well. I jumped the solenoid terminals and the same issue exists in reference to the starter/generator.

I suspect the starter/generator at this point, but the other threads and symptoms seem to be more consistent with them finding a 'deadspot'. Not being weak as I would describe it. The battery is brand new as well and tests well.

Thoughts? I think I may have two issues here... one being the carb being out of adjustment and whatever is going on with the starter/generator.

Thank you in advance.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:24 AM   #3
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Check the brushes on the starter generator under the rubber dust cover
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:56 AM   #4
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes it sounds like two separate issue going on. Try to work on one at a time. Replacing lots of parts kind of muddies the water when trying to diagnose. Regarding the starter issue, when you say you jumped the solenoid terminals you are talking about the "big" terminals, right? The red 12v+ from the battery and the white feed to the starter generator. Check that all the terminals along that path are clean, tight. Also check the ground strap connections: on the end cap of the start/generator and at the frame rail above. There is also the "main" frame ground right in front of the battery where the battery - bolts to the frame rail. If in doubt you can try a set of jumper cables, just the ground terminal on the starter end cap directly to the battery -, and see if that fixes the starter hesitation.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:44 AM   #5
bryanrexford
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
Yes it sounds like two separate issue going on. Try to work on one at a time. Replacing lots of parts kind of muddies the water when trying to diagnose. Regarding the starter issue, when you say you jumped the solenoid terminals you are talking about the "big" terminals, right? The red 12v+ from the battery and the white feed to the starter generator. Check that all the terminals along that path are clean, tight. Also check the ground strap connections: on the end cap of the start/generator and at the frame rail above. There is also the "main" frame ground right in front of the battery where the battery - bolts to the frame rail. If in doubt you can try a set of jumper cables, just the ground terminal on the starter end cap directly to the battery -, and see if that fixes the starter hesitation.
Yes the "big terminals" are what I'm referring too.

I'll check the terminals. I haven't done that...

Old 11-29-2017, 11:45 AM   #6
bryanrexford
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicyunicorn View Post
Check the brushes on the starter generator under the rubber dust cover
Is there anything in particular I'm looking for? Is there a service Mark or something on the brushes?

Old 11-29-2017, 01:09 PM   #7
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If they are flush or close to flush with the holder they need to be replaced
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:00 PM   #8
bryanrexford
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanrexford View Post
Yes the "big terminals" are what I'm referring too.

I'll check the terminals. I haven't done that...

Ill check the ground and battery terminals that is.
Thank you.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:05 PM   #9
bryanrexford
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicyunicorn View Post
If they are flush or close to flush with the holder they need to be replaced
Here are two of them... is that of concern? It looks like they still have life.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:23 PM   #10
bryanrexford
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
OK... well one ground wire from the generator to the frame is in pretty tough shape so I'm going to replace it.

The one by the battery... it was missing completely!!! I found where it mounted to the frame as the terminal was still attached, but I grounded the battery from there and it seems to have been the starter hesitation issue. Thank you!

The motor is still not firing right up though... once it fires she runs fine. And it's not every time. Maybe one every 10 starts it just chugs as the starter turns it over.

I suspect a carb adjustment being the problem. Does anyone have an attachment or otherwise guide or way of tuning these carbs?

I only see one adjustment needle and the throttle position adjustment. What jets should be in it? Assuming it has jets [emoji848]

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car