lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-29-2017, 11:04 AM   #1
Golfi
Not Yet Wild

Default Problem after Curtis swap

Hi everyone,

I am an assistant at the University Heilbronn in Germany. We are using an EZGO RXV 2010 as a base for autonomous driving. During modifications on the wiring I fired the Danaher Controller by a shortcut between 5V and 48V.

Our Dealer send us a Curtis 1206AC-5221 for replacement. We followed the "Curtis Controller Installation Instructions" and assembled the Curtis Controller with the SVC - Harness Assy Adaptor #626124 and the 23 Pin Adaptor #626118 in our RXV. We also connected the orange and white wire.
After the controller swap the cart still won't move. We ordered a Curtis 1314 to read the fault codes. There is one error called "BMS Comm. Error". Is it possible that the cart will be disabled if there is no BMS? Because we have normal lead-acid batteries.

The current behavior shows in RUN-Mode the motor and brake test. After the test the brake lights are on. In TOW-Mode the cart does motor and brake test and releases the brake, but after approximately 5 seconds the brake will be locked.

We followed the "RXV 48V AC Curtis Advanced Trouble-Shooting Guide", but we did not found any fault.

I attached some pictures of the 1314 with the error code, the system information, the input in neutral and the input in forward.

It is confusing that there is 0.1% throttle mapped in forward and 0.0% in neutral. Every time there is 100% brake command.

Now we don't have any idea where the problems is. Maybe one of you can help us?

Sorry for the long text.

Greetings, Benjamin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Error.jpg (14.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Forward.jpg (9.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Neutral.jpg (10.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg System.jpg (16.0 KB, 0 views)
Golfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-29-2017, 04:48 PM   #2
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Problem after Curtis swap

bob boyce is the guy you should talk to-try to PM him...
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:17 PM   #3
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfi View Post
Hi everyone,

I am an assistant at the University Heilbronn in Germany. We are using an EZGO RXV 2010 as a base for autonomous driving. During modifications on the wiring I fired the Danaher Controller by a shortcut between 5V and 48V.

Our Dealer send us a Curtis 1206AC-5221 for replacement. We followed the "Curtis Controller Installation Instructions" and assembled the Curtis Controller with the SVC - Harness Assy Adaptor #626124 and the 23 Pin Adaptor #626118 in our RXV. We also connected the orange and white wire.
After the controller swap the cart still won't move. We ordered a Curtis 1314 to read the fault codes. There is one error called "BMS Comm. Error". Is it possible that the cart will be disabled if there is no BMS? Because we have normal lead-acid batteries.

The current behavior shows in RUN-Mode the motor and brake test. After the test the brake lights are on. In TOW-Mode the cart does motor and brake test and releases the brake, but after approximately 5 seconds the brake will be locked.

We followed the "RXV 48V AC Curtis Advanced Trouble-Shooting Guide", but we did not found any fault.

I attached some pictures of the 1314 with the error code, the system information, the input in neutral and the input in forward.

It is confusing that there is 0.1% throttle mapped in forward and 0.0% in neutral. Every time there is 100% brake command.

Now we don't have any idea where the problems is. Maybe one of you can help us?

Sorry for the long text.

Greetings, Benjamin
Hello Benjamin

The Danaher to Curtis adapter harness was designed for the early 2012 RXV that was equipped with a Curtis 1206AC-5201 controller. That was the only stock Curtis RXV controller equipped with the code that permitted the bonding of wires between the Motor Speed Encoder and the other encoders. The very next revision controller had that code removed, so a higher revision controller will not work with that 23 to 35 pin converter. The com error is just indicating that an error has occured, preventing operation. The 1206AC-5201 running the 23 to 35 pin adapter is unable to distinguish the exact error code because of the encoders being bonded on the +5V and - supply wires. The RXV powerup test switches the power wires to each encoder and looks for the proper responses from each encoder, one by one. When the power wires are bonded, it cannot perform the individual encoder tests. So that is what limits the ability to identify an individual encoder error on a 1206AC-5201 controller when using the adapter.

If you modify the harness to a 35 pin harness, a 1206AC-5201 controller will detect the unbonded harness and switch to the full powerup test mode. The later revision controllers will not even be able to pass the powerup test, since it does not have the alternative test code. I wrote a thread on converting a 23 pin harness over to a full 35 pin harness. That should solve your issue, if you can buy the connectors and pins, and have access to the tools. You'll need to be handy with electrical wiring. I've converted about a dozen harnesses so far with good success. Here is a link to the thread.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ocumented.html

If you were in the US, I could swap you a 1206AC-5201 for your 1206AC-5221 controller, but shipping costs would likely be prohibitive. I would send you the 1206AC-5201 program file if it were hardware compatible, but it is not. The 1206AC-5221 has a hardware difference that would render it unusable. It was designed for different Operating System and Vehicle Control Language versions.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:37 AM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Hey Golfi. Your project is interesting. Could you tell us more about it?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 02:23 PM   #5
mjroman20
Gone Wild

If you need to swap out to a -5201, FSIP may be able to accommodate that as a core exchange. They typically have plenty of those in stock.
http://www.fsip.biz/
mjroman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:43 AM   #6
Golfi
Not Yet Wild

Hi,

thanks for the for the detailed comments.

@BobBoyce: I will modify the harness as you documented and will give feedback.

@Mooncarter: The RXV is a good base for autonomous driving, because it is easy to control. Throttel and brake can be controlled via digital-analog-converters and two relays. For steering we removed the steeringwheel and fitted a gearmotor instead. Changing the driving direction is implemented by an interconnection of relays. For each funktion we designed an ECU. The communication between the ECUs is, as in a modern car, over CAN. On a powerful PC we have ROS (robot operating system) installed. In ROS we do localization, mapping, obstacle detection and path planning. I hope i could give you a small insight.

Greetings, Benjamin
Old 12-05-2017, 03:12 AM   #7
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Hi,

thanks for the for the detailed comments.

@BobBoyce: I will modify the harness as you documented and will give feedback.

@Mooncarter: The RXV is a good base for autonomous driving, because it is easy to control. Throttel and brake can be controlled via digital-analog-converters and two relays. For steering we removed the steeringwheel and fitted a gearmotor instead. Changing the driving direction is implemented by an interconnection of relays. For each funktion we designed an ECU. The communication between the ECUs is, as in a modern car, over CAN. On a powerful PC we have ROS (robot operating system) installed. In ROS we do localization, mapping, obstacle detection and path planning. I hope i could give you a small insight.

Greetings, Benjamin
Hello Benjamin

The Curtis controller also has a CAN port. It is not supported in the Curtis harness, but the controller does output status data that maybe could be used to monitor operating parameters such as heat sink temperature, battery voltage, current, ect. The CAN Hi and CAN Lo pins should be identified in the pinout on the schematics that I've posted prior.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:40 AM   #8
Golfi
Not Yet Wild

Hi,

I modified the harness and the problem is still there.

I checked everything... the harness now corresponds to the wiring diagram in the RXV Trouble-Shooting Guide.

In my first post i forgot to say that the SOC meter isn't working, too.

I'm starting to think the new controller is broken, too.

Greetings, Benjamin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171129_142341.jpg (201.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-06-2017, 11:07 AM   #9
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Hi,

I modified the harness and the problem is still there.

I checked everything... the harness now corresponds to the wiring diagram in the RXV Trouble-Shooting Guide.

In my first post i forgot to say that the SOC meter isn't working, too.

I'm starting to think the new controller is broken, too.

Greetings, Benjamin
The 1206AC-5221 does not have the RXV SOC display code in its program. It's a 2Five controller, which uses a CAN type of readout that is a combination speedometer and SOC indicator. Remember I mentioned the CAN bus? The 2Five uses the CAN bus more than the RXV does.

The 2Five does not have a brake pedal switch, just the encoder, so the presence of the brake switch can cause a motor brake error if it ever opens circuit (full brake pedal position). The 2Five has hydraulic brakes in addition to the regenerative braking. It also does not use an overvolt bleed resistor. Try disconnecting the resistor wire that connects to the controller and see if that now allows the controller to pass the poweron test. If you had the correct programming capabilities, you could go in and disable the poweron tests that would allow the controller to function in an RXV. There is a fan output that is looking for the presence of a fan. It senses the + coming through the fan on that fan output that supplies the negative connection through the Fan FET. That can be simulated with a resistor to +

It would certainly be simpler for you if you had the correct controller. I have several spare RXV controllers here, the problem would be in the shipping cost to do a swap with you. I would not charge you anything to do a swap, if we can figure out a way to do the shipping.

Bob
Old 10-24-2020, 07:27 PM   #10
ericshufro
Not Yet Wild

Bob - could you help me locate a connector for the round 4-pin one that comes on my 2015 RXV? I believe the controller is a Curtis 1206AC. I am thinking to use a usb to rs232 adaptor and the 1314 PC software to communicate with the controller.
ericshufro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
curtis 1206ac-5221
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO