lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-19-2018, 05:55 PM   #1
Jamslights
Not Yet Wild

Default Power washed now won’t start

So I decided to power wash my 99 CC DS gas engine compartment. Boy did it need it. I can actually see that there is an engine and other parts in there

I also put a new drive clutch belt on. When I try to start it, it won’t start. It tries and the starter belt is certainly turning but the drive belt doesn’t engage or move at all. I’m assuming i flooded something with water but thought I would ask as I’m sure I am not the first one to experience this. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thank you!
Jamslights is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-19-2018, 07:57 PM   #2
unknwn
Getting Wild

Default Re: Power washed now won’t start

Look for water evidence on all electrical connections and components. Remove the cover of the electrics box in front of the engine.
Use a compressed air hose & nozzle to blow excess water out of crannies and wire connection boots.
Set up a box fan on high blowing into the engine compartment and walk away. It could take many hours (days?) to evaporate any quantity of latent water.
First thing you need to check for is spark. Put a spark plug in the spark plug cap, ground it against the valve cover/cylinder head and crank the engine.
Don't be afraid of the electricity. So long as the spark plug is grounded you will not get shocked (unpleasant!), so you can hold the plug against the engine with your unprotected hand.
Once you confirm that you have spark, drain the carburetor into a bottle or dish so you can inspect for water in the fuel.
unknwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:05 PM   #3
unknwn
Getting Wild

I reread your post. Does the engine crank over when the starter/generator spins?
Old 03-19-2018, 08:13 PM   #4
Jamslights
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknwn View Post
I reread your post. Does the engine crank over when the starter/generator spins?
No it doesn’t crank over. It sounds like it wants to, but the starter/generator belt just spins.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:17 PM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamslights View Post
No it doesn’t crank over. It sounds like it wants to, but the starter/generator belt just spins.
It's probably WET.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:56 PM   #6
Jamslights
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
It's probably WET.
So I’ll give it some compressed air and time.

Thanks for the replies everyone!
Old 03-19-2018, 11:16 PM   #7
unknwn
Getting Wild

Grab the drive clutch housing and rotate it to make certain that the crankshaft is able to turn a FULL 360 degrees.
This is to make certain that the engine is not hydraulic locked (forced water into the combustion chamber) -this is VERY important-.
If it rotated, proceed with drying the machine out and testing for electrical function.

If it stops or is difficult to turn, remove the sparkplug, install it in it's cap,ground it, and then turn engine -or- crank with starter.
If any water jets out of spark plug hole, continue until it stops coming out.
Get some engine fogging oil and squirt a bit in the spark plug hole and rotate the engine some more.

You've got to be more careful when pressure washing engine assemblies.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:29 AM   #8
BearsFan315
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamslights View Post
It sounds like it wants to, but the starter/generator belt just spins.
so starter is spinning
belt is spinning
is pulley on motor spinning

wonder if belt is loose and wet so it just slips vs gripping and spinning pulley on motor to start it.

agree with see IF you can spin the motor by hand, remove belts if it makes it easier. should be able to spin it around pretty easily, remove spark plug to make it easier vs fighting compression. being a 99 should be clockwise rotation.
BearsFan315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:25 PM   #9
Jamslights
Not Yet Wild

So I’m think it has something to do with the new belt or the condition of my drive clutch? I just put a new belt on right after I power washed. I purchase a new starter/generator belt too, I just haven’t put that one on yet. I got it to move today, very slowly I might add. See attached photo of close up. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearsFan315 View Post
so starter is spinning
belt is spinning
is pulley on motor spinning

wonder if belt is loose and wet so it just slips vs gripping and spinning pulley on motor to start it.

agree with see IF you can spin the motor by hand, remove belts if it makes it easier. should be able to spin it around pretty easily, remove spark plug to make it easier vs fighting compression. being a 99 should be clockwise rotation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FCCA1779-5F14-4333-8669-87B84D73CBFE.jpg (169.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 8FA1842A-B872-4A28-9949-37FE65B387BF.jpg (162.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-20-2018, 11:45 PM   #10
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Did you get the right belt? Was it wet after putting on the belt? "It moved" the belt or the cart?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car