lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-05-2018, 03:44 PM   #21
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 48v Conversion checklist for Series TXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxin View Post
Picked up the additional 2 batteries today and was planning on installing them in a bit. But looking back through this thread I noticed you mentioned changing the resistor. Is that something I need to do before running on 48v?

Currently it's 250 Ohm I believe
Connect the two new 6V batteries in series and charge them with a 12V charger before installing.

If they aren't going to be installed immediately, hit them with a boost charge every few days.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-05-2018, 03:46 PM   #22
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

470 vs. 500...

If it's close by, I'd probably run them in series, BEING CAREFUL to isolate, insulate them, to avoid them coming in contact with anything.

Either way, you got a weekend coming up, and if you're like most of us, you wanna try it out ASAP.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 03:48 PM   #23
noxin
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Either way, you got a weekend coming up, and if you're like most of us, you wanna try it out ASAP.
Bingo. Plus the wife is out of town so I've got extra free time
noxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 03:54 PM   #24
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Note JohnnyB's suggestion, which is a necessity if you want to get your money's worth.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:21 PM   #25
noxin
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I'll start the charge this afternoon. Got the resistor picked up and ready to go.

Thanks guys!
Old 10-05-2018, 04:54 PM   #26
noxin
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

And thanks for the reminder, Johnnie!

The new batteries were at 6.15v and it wouldn't have crossed my mind to bring them equal to the others before installing.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:02 PM   #27
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I assume you have the others on your 36 volt charger? Good to start with all fully charged. Read ScottyB's recommended battery break-in.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:49 PM   #28
noxin
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
I assume you have the others on your 36 volt charger?
I do now
Old 10-16-2018, 08:59 AM   #29
noxin
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Update (sort of):

I got the new batteries/resistor installed and the 48v charger plugged in and going a little over a week ago. As always happens with me, I've only found one opportunity to get out in the cart, and that was when my 10 year old wanted to drive it (without knowing I had even made any changes).

My neighborhood has some fairly significant hills in it, so I'm preemptively asking what the next thing I should do is going to be. My first guess is going to be motor -- though I have to admit I don't know what kind of performance I'm currently getting just yet. I was able to pull out my GPS for a minute while heading up a hill on the way home last weekend and saw I was getting about 9mph with 2 children on board with me -- which feels really slow but I think I was probably only getting 6-7mph before the updates.

Am I looking at the Admiral MOT B1 at this point? If so, what kind of speed/torque do you think I can expect? At 36v, I was getting about 15mph on the flats, and haven't done a speed check at 48v yet.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:15 AM   #30
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Just a suggestion for you to make your life easier, when you charge FLA batteries they leave off gas, which will, little by little, cause your terminals to get that corrosion (I think the technical name is that "yellow\green poofy stuff) more often than you like or want.

I tried several battery terminal protection coatings but none of them ever really held up to their promises.

I finally had a chat with a union\certified electrician who told me to buy the stuff in the photo below. He said to "slather" not only the terminal, but the copper connection as well. He stated to make sure ALL of the connector was coated before I re-connect the cable.

When I did it right I had zero corrosion. None. NADA! I've had the terminals on there for two years and I have yet to have any corrosion....except early on when a few terminals were not completely coated.

You can get this at Home Depot...or any electrical store.

DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO