lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-16-2018, 08:52 AM   #1
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Question EzGo PDS magnet with speed jumper?

I have a 2004 PDS with the speed plug which does the standard 18-19 MPH. Would the motor speed magnet get me more speed? I've done plenty of CC magnets but never a PDS. Thanks.

BTW batteries are Dec '17 Trojans- 36v. Everything else is stock.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-16-2018, 11:34 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EzGo PDS magnet with speed jumper?

Yes.

The stock PDS controller (Curtis 1206MX) in its freedom mode, limits the motor to about 4400RPM, which is about 19MPH on stock height (18") tires.

If you go from the stock 8-pole magnet disk to a 4-pole magnet disk, the controller see half the number of pulses per motor revolution and the max RPM is now 8800RPM.

Unfettered by the 4400RPM limit, a stock 36V battery pack will spin the stock PDS motor at a max of about 5600RPM, or 24MPH on stock height tires.

The down side is: Without limiting the motor to a safe RPM, you can drive the cart downhill at full throttle and explode the armature. Don't ask how I know that fact.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:34 AM   #3
agpfl
Wild Gone

E-Z-GO

Yes it will, but only a couple/few mph. There is not a lot of extra voltage above where the controller limits with the freedom plug in. Coming right off the charger when the pack voltage has not settled yet will give you a little higher results. For $40 its not a bad upgrade and worth a shot.

I have used it on a couple builds running 23" tires and 42v lithium packs. Those run about 25/26mph off the charger and decrease as the pack voltage drops. So if you are coming off a fresh FLA charge with a pack voltage around 44v, you could see around 27mph with 23" tires.

I have not tried it on a TXT 48, but would assume much better results based on the higher available voltage.
agpfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:45 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

With oversized tires, a stock PDS motor will not reach 5600RPM with a 36V pack like it does with stock height tires.

Mathematically, 23" tall tires have a 28% speed gain, so the top speed with a 36V pack ought to be about 30MPH, but there is also a 22% torque loss, so the real world top speed might be less than the 24MPH that can be obtained on stock height tires.

FWIW: With 17" tall tires and a 42V battery pack, I could spin a stock PDS motor at 7000RPM, with was just over 28.5MPH.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:22 AM   #5
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thank you for the detailed information everyone. I’m gonna try it.

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO