lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-24-2019, 08:35 PM   #1
gmaninwindsor
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2015 EZGO RXV Cold Weather Behavior

My 2015 EZGO RXV Electric cart has had an interesting and annoying issue since I got it new 3.5 years ago. I've spent the last few days reviewing posts in the forum and couldn't find anything that matched what I experience so I figured I'd throw it out there for thoughts.

Here are the symptoms: When the weather is cold (less than 40 degrees) and the cart hasn't been used I'll turn the key to reverse to back out of the garage. I'll hear the solenoid engage and once I press the accelerator pedal, I hear what I believe is the brake disengaging and the cart sort of moves then does nothing even if I push the pedal to the floor and then the brake reengages. I'll move the key to forward and go through the same process but it tends to go a few inches before not moving and the brake reengaging.

Once I put it back in forward and if I modulate the pedal eventually the cart will begin to move as long as I continue to vary the pedal's position constantly. Eventually it goes a ways and then I can put it back to forward and can drive off to the golf course. Once I am going it works fine until it has been parked long enough to get cold.

I had the dealer look at it when new and they didn't find anything (my guess being they either didn't troubleshoot it or it was warm out when they tested it.)

I started troubleshooting it more in-depth about 3 months ago and have done a few things as a process of elimination. Here's what I've done:
- Replaced: throttle position sensor, throttle switch, key switch, motor brake, tested wire continuity. Replaced battery cables with 2 gauge multi-stranded wire. Batteries are new.

Based on what has been replaced, it seems that either the controller or motor has an issue. Again, all cables and connections have been thoroughly checked.

There is a ton of great info in the forum but couldn't find anyone mentioning my issue. Thanks in advance for thoughts. (I have a 350 Amp Curtis controller on order from EZGO parts).
gmaninwindsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-25-2019, 09:31 AM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2015 EZGO RXV Cold Weather Behavior

I don't know anything about RXVs, but I think I read that you can't just hop in, turn the key, and punch it. You need to give it a second (or two?) to do its self-tests. Maybe it's more slow in the cold - like us?

Have you tried turning the key on, then waiting five seconds (or more?) before trying to go?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:18 AM   #3
gmaninwindsor
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the response yurtle. Yes, I have exercised patience and that doesn't make a difference. I can attest to not being able to flip the key into gear and go without that 2 or more second wait but that isn't the behavior this cold issue is seeing. I do have a lot of friends with EZGO RXV carts and they don't experience the issue.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:52 AM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Plenty of RXVs here. Hopefully someone will offer something.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:32 PM   #5
Isaac-1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

To me it sounds like it may be failing the brake twist test (I know you have changed the brake once, but you may have got a marginally bad one). You might try bracing it firmly against the roof support (put your shoulder into it) and have someone turn the key, if that works then chances are you applied just enough extra force on the wheel to pass the start up twist test.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:43 AM   #6
gmaninwindsor
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Isaac - I don't completely understand the twist test but I do remember seeing it while trolling the forum posts. If I understand your suggestion correctly, if while putting pressure on the cart and having someone move the key-switch to forward, the cart should remain in place and the cart would then be able to move with the accelerator pedal.

I just tested this concept and I am pretty sure the twist test is successful, I feel the cart doing a wiggle upon moving the key to forward or reverse even when applying lots of pressure against the roof support. When I then give it "gas" is moves about an inch and stops and then I can hear the brake reapply.

The 350 amp controller should be here this week and I'll see if that helps. Seems that the gurus on the forum like that controller so even if it doesn't solve this it should give my steep hill climbs a bit more zest
Old 02-26-2019, 10:14 AM   #7
gmaninwindsor
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I just read another post about brake issues so I tested putting the cart in tow mode, then put switch in forward, was able to push it about a foot then felt a lot of resistance to movement. Then put it in neutral and was able to push it just fine. Next, I turned the switch off, then to neutral and after a couple of seconds there was a bunch of clattering in the back of the cart, my guess is the brake engaging, disengaging over and over. Did the same thing with the forward switch position. Something is obviously temperature sensitive in this issue since when everything is warm it works without issue.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:29 AM   #8
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Cold makes everything contract.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Brob1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 04:38 PM   #9
gmaninwindsor
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Received and installed the brand new controller. Before replacement the brake would release most of the time. With the new controller, it won't release at all. Double checked cabling, tested the tow mode - brake isn't releasing at all. Based on lots and lots of posts about brake issues, seems like I need to buy another new brake?

When pulling the connector to the brake and then putting key to forward, 50 volts seen across the connector pins. Resistance of the brake itself is about 25.1 ohms. The person that installed the new brake had the bolts cranked pretty tight (saw some comments in the forum saying to NOT over tighten those bolts.)

Confused on the HD brake vs. the OEM brake - is the 2015 RXV capable of running the HD brake without damaging the controller?

Thanks for entertaining my curiosity and ignorance
Old 03-01-2019, 04:42 PM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Make sure you hang on to the old controller.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO