lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-10-2019, 08:52 PM   #1
EZglider
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Question 86 Marathon FnR issues

Hi,had this resistor cart given to me by my father-in-law,hasn't been run in several years. I've replaced the batteries, all the battery cables,the main solenoid mounting board with contacts,and the position switch. It also has the improved heavy coil resistor. It moves in forward and reverse ok,but sounds like its arcing when you're driving,accompanied by burning smell. the new contacts seem scorched already. Would a bad F &R switch cause that? Will also move forward/ back without key switch even being on. I freely admit to ignorance on these rigs,just want to use the old nag as my yard mule...won't ever be putting it on display or racing it,practical usage is my goal. Thanks,everyone,hope to hear back.
EZglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-11-2019, 01:50 PM   #2
coosa
Gone Wild

Default Re: 86 Marathon FnR issues

Moving with the key switch on could be a bad microswitch or a welded solenoid. I didn't understand from your post if you replaced the solenoid itself? If you didn't, sounds like it could be your problem.

Also, check out the wiring diagram above and make sure you have all the cables on the speed control. There is one that it will run without, but it greatly increases arcing. Good luck with it
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:42 PM   #3
EZglider
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I'll try replacing solenoid and recheck wiring for correct routing,thanks
EZglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:59 AM   #4
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: 86 Marathon FnR issues

On these old resistor carts what you are saying sounds normal to me. The contacts would have to be perfect not to ark. The burning smell is the coils burning off the energy. Pretty normal stuff.

Check the spring loaded swipper contact and make sure it's moving freely when it swippes across the other ones.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:29 AM   #5
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

The F/R could be arcing. I would pull it apart and check the contacts.
Brob1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 01:12 PM   #6
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: 86 Marathon FnR issues

If the cart doesn't run when turned off and nothing is heating up then the components are fine. Yes the forward Reverse could be melted and needs replacement.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO