lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-21-2019, 05:57 PM   #1
wrightjw
Not Yet Wild

Default 2005 cc ds intermittent staring issues

last year cart was driven into water. lots of damage all repaired. Most wiring was replaced and or tested. lots of parts replaced also. Not one wiring diagram or any of the conversations on here that i've seen. Have discussed the solenoid diode. I know what its purpose is however i did not remove it my son did. Anyone know the proper way to install? Does the power flow from small post hot (blue wire) to negative small post (orange wire)? Or does it flow from negative orange to positive blue? 2nd do i even need the diode? Pics i've seen from other carts don't have the diode.
wrightjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-21-2019, 07:12 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 2005 cc ds intermittent staring issues

You only need the solenoid diode on electric carts. I've never used or seen one on a gasser.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:38 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Seems to me, some of them have a diode and some don't.
The stripe on the diode goes toward the positive side. It should only go on the small terminals.

What kind of issue are you having?
Was the solenoid or starter generator replaced?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:18 PM   #4
Torka
Not Yet Wild

I think three years used a diode. Don’t quote me on the years but, I think it was 06,07,and 08. If you put it in backwards it will pop the fuse. Before and after they didn’t use a diode. I don’t know why.
Torka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:47 AM   #5
wrightjw
Not Yet Wild

Replaced the micro switches most main wiring and solenoid. So much more was replaced to much to list. Cart ran for hours multiple weekends then wouldn't start. No crank no start. Solenoid does snap wont start. Jump solenoid, starter turns and wants to start engine. The diode is my issue mentally. When key is on i have 12V on both small terminals. looking at the wiring diagrams (without the diode) i should only be 12V on 1 small and 1 big terminals. This diode i'm thinking is bad. Possibly damaged solenoid now.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:59 AM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Did you use an OEM solenoid or a cheap aftermarket one?

The cheap $20 solenoids are absolute junk. I wouldn't expect one to last more than a couple weeks, if it lasts that long. I had one of those almost burn a cart to the ground. I'll never use one of those things again, it's worth a few extra bucks to buy a quality solenoid.

When the key is on, I believe you SHOULD have 12V to both small terminals. Pressing the gas pedal will send ground to the opposite terminal, energizing the solenoid and making it work. If you hear it "snap" then it's getting the signals it is supposed to, or it wouldn't "snap". I think it's just a junk solenoid. Either cheap contacts inside it have failed, or it was not a constant duty solenoid made for golf cart use.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:04 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The solenoid is grounded by the orange wire to the microswitch. Key On with pedal Up, the solenoid will have 12V on both sides. Push the pedal and 12V should be on the Blue wire, Orange wire should drop to near 0V.
Diode is not the issue as that only prevents arcing of the microswitch when the coil field collapses when the switch opens. Has no effect on the main contacts inside.

Sounds like the solenoid is bad, and as CP said, the aftermarket solenoids are usually junk. Get an OEM solenoid and you should be back on the road.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:30 PM   #8
wrightjw
Not Yet Wild

That solenoid is a club car direct fit. i'm not saying it didn't go bad. All the parts are club car. Will have to test it again when i get back to camp. thank you for you help. i will be testing your ideas.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:49 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightjw View Post
That solenoid is a club car direct fit. i'm not saying it didn't go bad. All the parts are club car. Will have to test it again when i get back to camp. thank you for you help. i will be testing your ideas.
"club car direct fit" sounds like a buggies unlimited special (I.E. cheap junk, not OEM). There's some parts I don't mind going aftermarket with.. Ignition, electrical, or engine parts I will not compromise and get aftermarket. Brake pads, suspension, tie rod ends, etc... I've got no problem buying aftermarket stuff. That stuff is pretty hard to mess up. But electrical and engine parts, the aftermarket stuff just leaves you doing the same job again a few weeks or a few months later because they fail.

I'd highly recommend an OEM solenoid. Call David and get one from here https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/

You'll get the real deal from him. Finding OEM parts online is difficult, as many sites are very misleading. Any time you see the verbiage "direct fit" or "Replaces part number...." it's pretty much guaranteed to be a chinese knockoff and not going to last.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car