lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-29-2019, 09:42 AM   #11
Timberwolflt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2003 series cart build

So if I have to replace the motor... is there not a motor that will work with the stock controller that would get more speed? It sure seems like some of that torque could be converted to speed
Timberwolflt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-29-2019, 08:26 PM   #12
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Did you look into any motors? Checkout emp motors http://empinc.biz/
and plum quick. https://plumquick.com/

I always read that voltage=speed, but I know I reached out to pq before my upgrades and they promised they could get me more speed at 36v. It’s worth a call.

After my upgrade, I purchased a motor from emp. Chuck is extremely thorough and will be honest about what can be done with your current setup. Have ALL information about your cart, how you use it, and your expectations.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:07 AM   #13
Minker67
Not Yet Wild

I have a 2003 EZGO TXT series cart. Originally 36v and only did 13-14 mph. I did the alltrax 48500 with 2 gauge cables to batteries, controller and to motor. I installed a Heavy Duty reversing contactor. Upgraded the cart to 6 - 8v batteries for 48v. Added a 6” lift with 14” rims on 22” tires. The motor is still stock 36v motor. The cart with just me in it has hit 28MPH on a full charge and a long straight away. Normal daily driving the cart does 24MPH solid with people in the cart. I’ve been running this setup close to a year now. I know eventually the motor will need to be replaced as it’s over 15yrs old. Just waiting till it starts giving out on me.

If your 36v batteries are still in good condition and you don’t want to swap the batteries yet you can add a 7th battery to make it 42 volts for now or even add 2 more for a total of 8 - 6v batteries to get to 48v depending on if you upgrade the controller.

I will say before I did make the jump to the new parts I originally added the 7th 6v battery to the stock cart and stock parts and it brought up my speed to about 16-17MPH. I’ve read on these forums it is ok to run 42v on a stock 36v cart. I personally never had an issue with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Minker67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:12 PM   #14
Timberwolflt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I was looking into motors but it seemed like any way I cut it... it was gonna knock the hell out of a $1500 bill ... don’t really want to add the extra weight or expense of additional batteries and having charger issues...

with a motor, a controller, HD FNR, new cables, etc... I might as well just convert it to sepex

In the mean time she decided that stock speed would be plenty fast enough for her and I didn’t spend any time trying to convince her otherwise

So... simple build it is👍 (At least til she discovers that she can’t keep up with the neighbors anyway)
Old 11-02-2019, 08:29 PM   #15
Timberwolflt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Mo pictures...
Old 11-03-2019, 11:17 AM   #16
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Looks like you’ve got some painting skills. Nice job.
Just curious, did emp or pq give you some options for 36v?
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:03 PM   #17
Timberwolflt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

As I was gettin ready to look into the motor possibilities... the need got postponed so I’ve dropped it for now
Old 11-04-2019, 08:45 AM   #18
Timberwolflt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Will a stone stock series cart push 20” tires without completely killing the torque or the motor?
Old 11-04-2019, 01:39 PM   #19
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolflt View Post
Will a stone stock series cart push 20” tires without completely killing the torque or the motor?
Going from stock height (18") to a 20" tall tire will reduce the torque available where rubber meets road by 10%, while increasing speed by a bit under 11%. (The cart will not reach the full mathematical speed increase due to the torque loss cause by the change in the effective gear ratio.)

As for a stock series drive being able to push 20" tall tires, a stock 2003 series drive is, or may be, marginal to push the stock 18" tall tires. If it has 6Ga cables, they need to be upgraded (all 13 of them) to 4Ga or thicker. The contacts of the stock solenoid are only rated at 85A or so, ought to be 200A or more.

The motor and controller can handle the added stress of 20" tall tires, but won't last as long as the would have turning stock height tires.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 02:24 PM   #20
Timberwolflt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks JohnnieB... already upgraded the cables to 2AWG and I have a feeling that she’ll be hunting more speed anyway before she wears out the stock equipment
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO