lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-15-2020, 03:37 AM   #1
Rob_C
Getting Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Precedent Professional stops but starts again if accelerator raised and redepressed

Evening viewers,

Went and looked at a cart today, 2006 Precedent professional. Looked at by somebody else some time back who apparently replaced "something" which made no difference and left. Pack voltage on 4 new 12V batteries was 51 odd volts. It has the type 1 pedal set and is MCOR2.

Key on, depress accelerator, no solenoid click but the cart moves off. Accelerate a bit more and it quits, again no click. Lift your foot off the pedal, depress it again and off you go.

I pulled off the cover to check the solenoid and the two trigger wires were not connected to the solenoid making me assume the solenoid is shorted. Out of curiosity I reconnected the solenoid wires, now it clicks when you depress the accelerator but performs exactly the same. Odd.

I bridged the solenoid to take it out of the circuit for the same result except now when you lift your foot and depress the throttle again, there's no further movement.

Took the bridge off the solenoid and it will again "reset" if you lift your foot.

For my next trick I removed the two wire plug from the MCOR and bridged them. Initially it appeared like we'd struck happy days and the cart definitely appeared to run for longer but them it reverted to exactly the same issue.

In a nutshell it appears to be performing as if on old batteries low on charge but the voltage for these tests always measured above 51V.

Having read through various posts on here I'm going to go back tomorrow and measure the resistance of the throttle side of the MCOR but am not confident that is the issue?

Are the test resistance values the same for all MCOR models?

Does anyone have a tidbit of advice they can offer.

Thanks in advance and a belated happy new year to those that read this,

Rob
Rob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-15-2020, 04:44 AM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Precedent Professional stops but starts again if accelerator raised and redepress

Hello Rob, from another Richmond across the globe.

To start with, that solenoid has got to be welded inside. I would replace it before any more troubleshooting.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:01 AM   #3
Rob_C
Getting Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: Precedent Professional stops but starts again if accelerator raised and redepress

Hey Mooncarter,

Initially I thought that too but then after thinking on it, why won't it reset when I bridge the contacts because that should make no difference and what's clicking if it's welded itself closed?

I did mean to check it with the multimeter while I was there but once I'd bridged it and the problem continued, I kept looking.

If there's any moisture in your Richmond, ours could surely use some. We have 5 large water bombers on high rotation, a DC10, two 737s, an Avro RJ85 and a Hercules.

Cheers,
Rob
Old 01-15-2020, 07:14 AM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I should have said has been welded, or still might be. That click you are hearing could still be coming from a faulty solenoid.

I'll leave it to others to discuss the MCOR.

Yes, rain here. Off and on a lot lately. Wish I could send it to you. Please stay safe.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:23 AM   #5
Goober11
Gone Wild

Club Car

Ha, Rob-C I have to agree with Mooncarter. I had a CC DS IQ. It ran but you did not hear the solenoid engage it would run but not up to speed like it should. SOC was 50.9.
Replaced the solenoid fixed the problem.
Goober11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:04 PM   #6
Rob_C
Getting Wild
Mixed Breed

Thanks Goober11,

That still doesn't explain why when I took the solenoid out of the circuit, the cart would still stop but then would not "reset" when you lifted your foot off the accelerator and depressed it again?
I'm not disagreeing that the solenoid has issues, just trying to nut out the rest of the problem.

Cheers<
Rob
Old 01-15-2020, 08:16 PM   #7
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

If I'm understanding the problem as you describe it, it sounds like that would be a throttle problem. The other issues appear to be solenoid related.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:54 PM   #8
Rob_C
Getting Wild
Mixed Breed

Cheers Mooncarter,

I've decided to replace the solenoid and have another go after that's done. It had 3100 ohms off and zero when engaged so it needs replacing regardless.

If it goes ok afterwards I'm going to throw my hands up in the air and call it done. If not I'll start over.

Hard to believe the last guy left it like that. He also stripped the insulation off both wires for the MCOR micro switch rather than just bridge the plug, wrapped it all in electrical tape when he was done and squashed it between the floor and the cover plate. :/

Cheers,
Rob
Old 01-16-2020, 08:01 AM   #9
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Controller may be sensing the welded solenoid and shutting itself down because it knows there is a problem. Are there any beep codes or have you hooked up a handheld to search for codes?
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 01:22 AM   #10
Rob_C
Getting Wild
Mixed Breed

Thanks kgsc,

No beep codes and no hand controller. The vast majority of carts I repair here are Yamaha, that leaves a small percentage of Club Car and a smaller percentage again of those are electric so it's just not worth the cost to me.

I should have the replacement solenoid on Wednesday so we'll see what transpires after that's fitted.

Cheers,
Rob
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car