lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-19-2020, 09:32 PM   #1
Jgardiner1986
Not Yet Wild

Default Club car battery indicator.

Ok so how do I wire the battery indicator on a 36 volt cart with a two terminal key switch? When I turn the switch on or off I’m getting no difference in reading with the meter on the terminals. What’s funny though is the key does turn the cart on and off. I can’t piggy back off of it and get it to work but if I run a wire from the battery the battery meter works. Any ideas on how to wire it so it works with the switch? Thanks guys
Jgardiner1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-19-2020, 09:35 PM   #2
handtools
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Club car battery indicator.

Check to see if the key switch is negative instead of positive.
handtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:39 PM   #3
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Connect the meter positive wire to the blue wire side of the key switch. Connect the meter negative wire to negative from battery pack. That way the meter works with key on.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 11:01 PM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtools View Post
Yes, some of the old 36v did have a negative key switch...
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 04:10 AM   #5
Jgardiner1986
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtools View Post
Ok so not to be stupid how would I go about wiring it if this were the case? I’ll have to try testing it when I get home tonight if I can determine how to do that. Thanks
Old 02-20-2020, 07:02 AM   #6
handtools
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

You would connect the negative wire of the meter to the key switch wire then the positive of the meter to pack positive. First probe the switch wires with your meter to determine if the switch wire is positive or negative.
handtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:44 AM   #7
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgardiner1986 View Post
Ok so not to be stupid how would I go about wiring it if this were the case? I’ll have to try testing it when I get home tonight if I can determine how to do that. Thanks
First Disconnect the batteries. Remove panel so you can touch vom probes to key switch wires. Hook batteries back up. Now put meter on DC volts. Touch meter negative probe to pack negative battery post. Touch meter positive probe to green wire side of key switch, you should see pack voltage on meter. Turn key on and touch blue wire side of key switch , you should see pack voltage on meter. with key on voltage will be on both sides of switch. You would hook your new volt meter to the side that is on when key is on(blue) side.

If you have a negative switch you will hook the positive meter probe to pack positive battery post and use the meter negative on the key switch. If that is your setup you just hook your new volt meter negative wire to the key switch and the positive wire to the battery positive side.

clear as mud
Old 02-20-2020, 09:04 AM   #8
Jgardiner1986
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
First Disconnect the batteries. Remove panel so you can touch vom probes to key switch wires. Hook batteries back up. Now put meter on DC volts. Touch meter negative probe to pack negative battery post. Touch meter positive probe to green wire side of key switch, you should see pack voltage on meter. Turn key on and touch blue wire side of key switch , you should see pack voltage on meter. with key on voltage will be on both sides of switch. You would hook your new volt meter to the side that is on when key is on(blue) side.

If you have a negative switch you will hook the positive meter probe to pack positive battery post and use the meter negative on the key switch. If that is your setup you just hook your new volt meter negative wire to the key switch and the positive wire to the battery positive side.

clear as mud
Ok so on the back of new meter I have plus/minus and C which it says goes to key. Are you saying run them backward if key switch is negative?
Old 02-20-2020, 09:45 AM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

If You have the old and confusing negative Key Switch system, it is very easy to convert to a regular positive key switch.

The process is explained in this post:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ml#post1487837
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:53 AM   #10
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgardiner1986 View Post
Ok so on the back of new meter I have plus/minus and C which it says goes to key. Are you saying run them backward if key switch is negative?
First you need to find out if you have positive or. Negative key switch. Then let us know.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car