lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2020, 09:56 AM   #21
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Melted a battery post....

Your main battery cable needs to be in direct contact with the lead on the terminal.
How far in did you drill when installing the new stud? Usually needs to be in there about 3/4" to hold properly. If it's only a couple threads in it will just pull out of the lead.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2020, 01:48 PM   #22
LSUgoTIGER
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Your main battery cable needs to be in direct contact with the lead on the terminal.
How far in did you drill when installing the new stud? Usually needs to be in there about 3/4" to hold properly. If it's only a couple threads in it will just pull out of the lead.
It's in there pretty good. I pre-drilled into the lead about 3/4", then started threading in the new post. Most of the way while threading in the new post, there was some decent resistance, but then towards the end, it really started threading in super easy with almost no resistance, so I got nervous I was getting too deep.

I know ideally I need the battery cable touching directly to the lead, but it feels like if I do that, when I go to remove/loosen the nut in the future, it's wanting to unthread the post before the nut actually breaks loose. I kept that bottom nut on to be able to put a wrench on to hold it in place, and then loosen the top one with the socket to keep the post from spinning any.
LSUgoTIGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 05:15 PM   #23
FSJeepster
Not Yet Wild

Buddy of mine had a similar issue. Instead of tapping for a bolt he used a lag bolt. It is holding up well. It seems the lead is too soft for regular bolt threads to get a bite. There are studs for furniture that have wood threads on one end and machine threads on the other.
FSJeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 06:47 PM   #24
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUgoTIGER View Post
Still having a slight issue with the initial takeoff speed/torque after this battery repair.

It is intermittent, but the initial torque is normal and strong on takeoff, but after about a second, you can feel the cart back off the power a lot even with the accelerator floored, and just slowly gets up to full speed.

It never did this before the battery issue, so I'm pretty certain that is at the root of this.

Any issues with how I have the nuts/washer? Feels like it is an issue with that connection somehow.
I have done many repairs basically the same as yours (minus the washer at the bottom). 5/16" allthread, nut to lock post to battery lead, cables, nut on top. No problems here doing it that way. I'll make a drawing you can use to test for voltage drop on your repair.

If you clip your meter leads exactly where shown, it will measure voltage lost/drop across your repair. Put the meter to 2v voltage setting (I doubt its dropping more than that). Floor it, while a passenger observes the meter.

You can use this test to check voltage drop across your solenoid, or individual battery cables too. Just hook one lead to the "input" & 1 to the "output".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200514-164915_Gallery.jpg (232.0 KB, 0 views)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 11:16 PM   #25
LSUgoTIGER
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks cgtech. I don't have alligator clip leads for my meter, but will borrow some tomorrow from a neighbor and test it out.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:24 AM   #26
HarryT
Gone Wild

Take the cart for a run up a steep hill. When you get to the top check to see if the terminal and cable end are hotter than the rest or your posts. Be careful as it could be really hot. If so you have a bad connection.
I buy 1 1/2" full thread stainless bolt. I cut the head off, cutting almost all the way thru from one side and then from the other leaving a little in the middle. Then break it off leaving a little in the middle so it will lock into the lead at the bottom of your drilled hole. Tighten it in with two nuts and then take both of them off. The stud should now be locked into the lead. Don't use any type of washer.
I have done dozens of these repairs on members cart and never had a problem. I don't have this problem on my fleet of 63 carts as I check the tightness every couple of months.
Harry
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 02:54 PM   #27
LSUgoTIGER
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

CGtech, did this test, and when floored going down the road, got these readings. See pictures.

It was doing the slow acceleration with these readings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200515_144721.jpg (196.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200515_144807.jpg (174.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200515_144856.jpg (152.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-15-2020, 03:08 PM   #28
LSUgoTIGER
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Take the cart for a run up a steep hill.
I'd have to trailer it and drive a couple hours away to find any hills.
Old 05-16-2020, 01:55 AM   #29
HarryT
Gone Wild

Then just put a load on it. 2 or 3 heavy bodies. If that terminal is getting hot, you will melt that post and you can kiss that battery goodbye.
Harry
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 01:58 AM   #30
rib33024

I would change that burnt cable. And bolt the cable end to the lead post not on the nut.

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO