lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-17-2020, 06:34 PM   #21
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Cart won’t stop

I guess reading and understanding service manuals and schematics is too much to expect.

Please read or re-read the last sentence (outlined in red) of the service manual page Andy posted.

In a nutshell, it says if adjusting the accelerator linkage doesn't stop it from moving without pedal being pushed, replace the solenoid. In other words. EZGO knows , under certain conditions, their resistor drive carts will move without the pedal being pushed and have suggested possible fixes for two of the reasons it can happen. (Throttle linkage out of adjustment - or solenoid contacts welded)

----------
Andy, you are correct, there are 5 studs and only 4 of them have cables on them. However, they are numbered 0 through 4 on the schematic I posted and circled one of the two cables connected to stud #1.

Electrically, when the wiper is on stud #0, the output from the solenoid is still connected to stud #1

-----------
BTW: I've also done T.O. (Technical Order - aka service manual , operations manual - etc.) verifications and validations on fairly complex communications systems for DoD and am aware service manuals and the like are written by tech writers from engineering notes rather than direct conversations with the engineers. Basically, the person writing the manual does not speak the same language as the person designing the system. Somewhat akin to the assemble instructions for kids toys made in China, but with less of a language barrier.

Schematics are drawn by draftsmen (Technical artists) from engineering notes and draft drawings made by engineers.

It is getting better these days with more word processors and CAD being used, but neither schematics, wiring diagrams nor service manuals are holy writs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gas pedal adjustment - highlighted.jpg (214.0 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2020, 06:47 PM   #22
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I do not fix carts for a living or even for a hobby and I have not knowingly ever laid eyes on a resistor drive cart, but I have been reading schematics and troubleshooting electrical and electronic stuff for 60+ years and have taught troubleshooting techniques to several hundreds of students in the upper 5 percentile of the American youth. Now I basically troubleshoot problems from schematics based on the symptoms provided by the posters on BGW, and the laws of physics. Hopefully both of you can read the attached schematic.

If there is a cable connected between the switched side of the solenoid contacts and the #1 stud on the wiper assemble, (Circled in red on attached schematic), then the cart will move whenever the solenoid contacts are closed (or welded closed), irregardless if the pedal is pushed or not.

The purpose of that cable is to reduce the arcing on the #1 stud and the solenoid contacts. The undesired side effect is the cart moves when the solenoid contacts.

Agree sir if the swiper 'gas pedal isn't adjusted to the at rest contact in the bottom of the arch it will move on it's own. You typed as I did.
The linkage is know to get rusty and not go back to full rest @ stop. The brass contacts will arc off of the swipper contact as it moves across them. Most times it's from poor maintenance of the contacts that keep the swiper from fully setting back to the 1 stud. The #1 stud is not hooked up to anything though. The second stud in line is the #1 stud that makes the cart start moving. This is the 1st speed, then 3rd stud is 2nd speed, 4th stud 3rd speed then 5th is 4th speed.
The micro switch has to be engaged by the gas pedal though for the solenoid to be activated.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:25 PM   #23
rib33024

Andy if you would stop telling JohnnieB and Golf Cart Guy they don't know what they are talking about. And go read JohnnieB's post again it explains everything. If you will look at the wiring diagram you will see the cable goes from the solenoid to the number 1 post on the wiper board. 0 is at rest on the wiper board. Then from number 1 on the wiper board there is another cable going to the number 1 resistor coil. Then to the motor. That is what makes the cart move when the pedal is not pushed down, At rest and the solenoid has welded contacts. When you put the cart in forward or reverse. And the solenoid is welded shut, and that puts pack volts to the number 1 post on the wiper board. And then to the number one resistor coil, and then to the motor. That makes the cart run with out touching the go pedal. Pisitions on the wiper boardat rest- 0-1-2-3-4

snip
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post

If there is a cable connected between the switched side of the solenoid contacts and the #1 stud on the wiper assemble, (Circled in red on attached schematic), then the cart will move whenever the solenoid contacts are closed (or welded closed), irregardless if the pedal is pushed or not.

The purpose of that cable is to reduce the arcing on the #1 stud and the solenoid contacts. The undesired side effect is the cart moves when the solenoid contacts.
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:15 PM   #24
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Talking Re: Cart won’t stop

I never questioned him on the solenoid being welded shut. I said to check the pedal also to make sure it goes back to the rest position. Per the manual, If it doesn't go all the way back then it's the same thing as the solenoid being welded closed and the cart will keep moving.

If a cart is working normally and this is with all parts working as the should then the cart should not move when you take your foot off the pedal. Hopefully we can agree on that!
That is all I ever said and never said anything about it other wise.

If you read the OP first statement he even says it didn't feel like the pedal went to the rest position. It's a 30+ year old cart guy's. He even stated he smacked it good, well he could have knocked the throttle back to the rest position for all we know, are he could have fixed the solenoid, who knows what it did. I can't tell you but I can tell you what the manual says to check first and that's the linkage. I have fixed I don't know how many Ezgo's & Club car by smacking them to loosen the linkage up and spraying them down good with WD-40, I have sanded those contacts down flat so they want stick to each other and run with out pressing the pedal.
I'm done with it and I hope he gets it fixed.
Another thing, he said the key was out of the key switch and it still had power on it. Makes you think what else could be wrong with it.
I guess it's suppose to be able to do that to???
Old 05-18-2020, 02:20 AM   #25
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Wow, this went sideways from "yep, your solenoid is bad", which is what we had presumed to be the case after OP basically said "It tested bad & I smacked solenoid with a hammer & it works until my new one arrives".

Since we 98% know what the failure was (and a super common issue for that "mode of failure"), can we let it die until we are all further proven to be a bunch of idiots?
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 08:21 AM   #26
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Well some key points sir. You said the one thing that has made me answer this. It's a common problem. The most common problem is pedal linkage and the contacts sticking and not letting the pedal go back to it's resting spot and letting the micro switch shut off.

Quote:
jakesnake27
It sounds like the throttle device isn't returning all the way to the 'rest' position.
OP response:

Quote:
Magaliasram
Kind of what I thought but that wouldn’t explain power present with the key off.
He smacked it and it fixed it self. So that tells me it's not a welded shut solenoid. Maybe it was a solenoid doing what it was suppose to do because the pedal never fully relaxed.

He also said the key was turned off and key out of the cart and it still had power to the circuit. His first post.
Quote:
In F or R with the key on or off the cart will move. I have the key out and it still moves.

#1 his key switch is bad. 30+ old cart maybe time for new switch!
#2 If it still has power on the activation circuit which he said it did even with the key out that must also mean the throttle micro switch has gone bad also because the solenoid want have power to activate it if the micro switch is not engaged. So now we have 2 parts in the circuit not functioning like they should.
#3 he said he smacked it and it's fixed it, so that rules out the welded solenoid. So it not as you all think. Again he smacked it how hard and where did he smack it who knows but my original post said check the throttle linkage along with the solenoid per the manual for these carts instruct you to do and I bet when he smacked it, it let the linkage relax enough to let the micro switch open and shut the circuit off. (common problem with these type carts) That stopped the solenoid from being activated and it stopped moving on it's own power.
I don't know what the problem is but I go by info given by the OP and give my best guess as to what is wrong like everyone else. I never bashed anyone until they started making remarks about me only because I didn't agree with them on the problem.
What I don't do is call people out and bash them on their knowledge of things because I don't like what they say on here. I also don't have to agree with everything that someone posts just because they say it so.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:01 PM   #27
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Key off but cart still ran was a dead giveaway that the solenoid was bad.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO