lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-06-2020, 10:21 PM   #1
BukitCase
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default '85 Club Car - Replaced batteries, now no reverse.

Hi all; new (old) member, bought the above DS off CL a couple years ago - everything worked except the lights, seller claimed the PO had "messed around" with electrical - when I got it it had 3 12 volt "marine" deep cycle batteries.

It ran fine, 10 acre property with shops in 3 different areas - up til a couple months ago a charge would last about a week (unless the grandkids were here )

Over the next couple months it degraded to about 500 FEET on a charge (property is slightly hilly in spots, but not steep)

When I started looking at batteries, replacing with similar deep cycles was about 1/3 the cost of "real" cart batteries, and since the dying ones had been used when I got it and STILL made it a couple years, I bought 3 similar ones (but 1" taller, so more plate area)

Been in tech fields all my life (but NEVER worked on a golf cart), so paid VERY close attention to connections; everything turned off, replaced one battery at a time cleaning up all connections, etc - ZERO wires got switched.

When I got everything back together, the cart would ONLY go FORWARD. With the FnR switch in reverse, ALL the solenoids still kick in sequentially, but NO movement.

So far I haven't found a reason for this (after looking thru the first 220 PAGES of posts here and finding 3 or 4 "prospects" that didn't help...)

I don't know (yet) if there's any wrong wiring, only that I didn't CHANGE anything (with the possible exception of bumping something) - the smaller gauge wiring is kind of messy, there's lights installed but look hokey and don't work (switch has problems for sure) - don't really care about that unless it's the cause of "no-go-backup" - I plan to replace any lighting with LED's and rockers AFTER I get it running again.

Main thing I'm hoping for is someone to point me toward a known "culprit" - again, goes fine forward; reverse no go, but all solenoids sequence as they should.

Thanks for looking, appreciate any suggestions... Steve
BukitCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-07-2020, 05:20 AM   #2
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: '85 Club Car - Replaced batteries, now no reverse.

it went in reverse with old batteries but not new ?....you need to post some pics of the FNR switch wiring and the battery wiring....did you hook the reverse cable to the #3 battery ?....pics is what is needed here
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 02:09 PM   #3
BukitCase
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the response; yeah, drive worked fine in BOTH directions with old batteries - I hooked new batteries up EXACTLY as the old, doing one battery at a time til all were replaced. Been doing this since I TAUGHT electronics in military in 1966, golf carts are about the ONLY thing that isn't in my resume

At this point I'm 99.9% sure I either bumped something that was ready to fail (couple years ago one of the heavy wires (the ones that move when you change direction) FELL OFF just after I backed out of where I park the cart - I found it when I was looking for a part# on the FnR switch - seems the movement eventually got ALL the strands of the cable at the crimp lug (where it hooks to the FnR switch...
I now have a hydraulic crimp tool, etc, that I hadn't needed before.

I dnl parts and service manual last nite, not a lot of help on this particular problem tho.

There are obviously several people here with TONS more experience in THIS field than I, so I took a shot in hopes that this was a common (or at least KNOWN) problem - gettin' too old (and too many projects left) to think of troubleshooting as fun any more...

So yeah; as previously stated, both directions worked with OLD batteries; replaced with new batteries EXACTLY same wiring, tight connections, etc - cart now goes FORWARD - in REVERSE, I hear ALL solenoids click in as the pedal is depressed, but drive motor never moves.

I plan to take a LOT closer look at things today, plus my digital camera is now fully charged so pics are gonna happen. A closer look when I'm not draggin' *** could help a little too

Again, thanks; more later... Steve
Old 11-07-2020, 06:45 PM   #4
BukitCase
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Well, I'm sure glad I only said I wuz 99.9% sure;

It's fixed - turns out that the "half-speed reverse" wire DID manage to elude me; on closer look, that wire had managed to hide UNDER the full power (forward) wire, even to the point that the crimp lug was rotated just enough so that it didn't show under the full power (also red) wire.

Connected it to the center 12 volt battery +, good as new (I'm 99.9725% sure of THAT, minus however much better the cart may have run with REAL batteries, before it started making MY life easier)

In actual fact, since it's hard to divide the voltage from 3 (non-centertapped) batteries in half, and since this cart is STILL fairly quick in reverse, I guess that technically that wire is a "2/3 speed wire" - no complaints, I'll GLADLY take it.

Again, a BIG thanks to Budule for his suggestions, made me back up and take a harder look; and to everyone that makes this site available - Now, anybody got a tasty barbeque recipe for CROW ??!? Only HALF kidding... Steve
Old 11-07-2020, 07:01 PM   #5
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

happens all the time, no biggie....you can also jump the FNR switch and do away with that wire and have full speed reverse.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thGX5GNGA8.jpg (29.9 KB, 0 views)
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 09:42 PM   #6
BukitCase
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for that, I'll save it for later; atm, after 55 years fixing stuff I've pretty much adopted the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mantra. Never know tho, might give it a try - probably AFTER I rebuild 5 more hydraulic cylinders on my backhoe, 1 on my Gannon box blade, add 4 more remotes on one of the tractors, get the OTHER tractor to charge, + about 99 OTHER "gators" that've developed a taste for "old fart backside" ... Steve
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car