lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-13-2021, 10:38 AM   #21
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Charging near gas water heater

Could be because they make NG and LP heaters
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-13-2021, 10:41 AM   #22
LSUgoTIGER
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by simicrintz View Post
Now maybe I can learn something when somebody tells us why they elevate the water heaters!
For a garage installation, Texas code requires ALL GAS Water Heaters MUST Be 18″ above the garage floor. This is because a gas water heater could become an ignition source for flammable / combustible vapors (such as gasoline) that accumulate near the floor. -Google
LSUgoTIGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:57 AM   #23
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The reason for the elevation may also be to meet a physical barrier requirement since it is not a national requirement for the "flammable" part:

https://www.homeinspector.org/Newsro...20by%20a%20car

Edit: What I meant to say is that there is also a physical barrier requirement when a gas water heater is installed in a garage.

Last edited by Sergio; 01-13-2021 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: clarification
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:08 AM   #24
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

Just wanted to add a little personal experience. I live in what has now grown to an 1800+ private cart community. There are at minimum 20+ per month fire rescue responses due to Golf Carts charging in closed garages setting off CO2 alarms. My neighbor was evacuated from his home about 3 months ago. The scariest part is the CO2 alarms are inside the homes. That means the Hydrogen from charging is seeping into the homes via the inside garage door even when closed. The fire department comes with some sort of measuring device. I saw that someone suggested to put a CO2 alarm in the garage but based on these experiences it seems it would be constantly going off. We have electric water heaters here in my part of FL but I couldn't imagine having a basically open flame anywhere near anything releasing flammable gas.
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:19 AM   #25
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

The poisonous gas that we commonly monitor for in our homes is Carbon Monoxide which has the chemical formula CO.

CO2 is carbon dioxide which gives us those nice bubbles in our beer or sparkling drinks ... nothing worse than a warm, flat beer
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:37 AM   #26
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Most CO detectors go off on hydrogen simply because they are not calibrated for that and not because the concentration is high.

There are CO detectors that do not erroneously go off on very low (safe) hydrogen levels or other gases for that matter.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:47 PM   #27
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
The poisonous gas that we commonly monitor for in our homes is Carbon Monoxide which has the chemical formula CO.

CO2 is carbon dioxide which gives us those nice bubbles in our beer or sparkling drinks ... nothing worse than a warm, flat beer
I'm blaming my darn iPhone for that one! I went back to edit but could not find the edit button like I have on my desktop. Trust me I know the difference
Old 01-13-2021, 07:49 PM   #28
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Most CO detectors go off on hydrogen simply because they are not calibrated for that and not because the concentration is high.

There are CO detectors that do not erroneously go off on very low (safe) hydrogen levels or other gases for that matter.
Most of the people they have been evacuating talk of headache and nausea like symptoms. I don't know what the concentrations are but the firefighters have some sort of gauge and these people say it goes nuts and they always find the culprit is the charging golf cart. They have advised everyone to try and charge their carts during the day with the garage open. The CO detectors are wired into the alarm systems.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO