lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-18-2021, 09:34 PM   #1
Etu
Not Yet Wild

Default 2004 vs 2013 ezgo clutch engage

Ok so I just got my second ezgo gas cart a 2013 with the 400 Kawasaki engine. I just got it yesterday so I'm still learning about the differences between the 290 Robbins in my 2004 and the Kawasaki. Now it seems the 290 is smoother and more responsive with more mid range power.
One huge difference is the clutch engagement. With the 2004 Robbins it starts real fast and I increase the engine speed a little before the drive engages.
On the 2013 Kawasaki it takes a lot longer to start and it's already moving along the ground before the engine starts.
I prefer the way the 2004 engages but I don't know if this is an adjustment or a different clutch.
Anyone have a clue?
Thanks
Etu is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-20-2021, 11:34 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: 2004 vs 2013 ezgo clutch engage

Probably not adjustable. Could be some room for improvement if the belt is worn or if the clutches are worn. Or it could be on the newer cart that the belt is tighter and/or newer and wants to grab before the clutches engage.

Generally speaking, though, two different engines, two different power curves. The clutches will be matched to the power/torque curve of the engine. The power delivery of each will also be different because the clutches and transaxles and maybe even tire sizes are different. So how they "feel" might be different for many reasons. But really just two different carts and they will feel different.

So it's kinda like comparing a Chevy 350 to a Ford 302, it's just two different animals. Saying one is better or worse than the other is just perception and opinion, they are just different.

I had a 1998 TXT with the 295 Robin and I now have a 2004 Workhorse/Hauler with the 350 Robin. The engines are nearly identical in components, one just being larger displacement. The power delivery is vastly different between the two engines, not just because of the difference in power, but also the difference in clutching and gearing. What you are comparing is even more different, one being a Kaw and one a Robins.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 12:11 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etu View Post
On the 2013 Kawasaki it takes a lot longer to start and it's already moving along the ground before the engine starts.

Thanks
This doesn’t sound right. The cart shouldn’t creep or move at all before the engine starts. Something is wrong with that clutch.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 03:02 PM   #4
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Opps!

Last edited by meimk; 02-20-2021 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: typo
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 03:04 PM   #5
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

A newer stiff belt could make it creep a bit as the starter turns. FYI pretty much every one of those Kawasaki engined EZGO's I've come across have the throttle cable backed WAY loose. The reason you have to push so far to get the engine to actually start running is the starter engages long before the throttle starts to open. To keep them slow enough for a golf course (11/12 MPH) about 3/4 of the pedal travel is just taking up the slack. Try adjusting out much of that slack and you'll have much better throttle response & much faster road speed. You are right that the 295 Robin engine is smoother - 2 cylinders mean twice as many power pulses for the same RPM. However, tuned in right that 400 Kawasaki will be a tower of power in comparison - 13 HP vs 9 in the 295.
Old 02-20-2021, 08:40 PM   #6
Etu
Not Yet Wild

Thanks. You're right the pedal had to be more than 3/4 down before it opened the throttle. I adjusted out the slack and it starts much better and has better speed. Im sure the 2 cylinder Robbins 290 has a much smoother power curve than the single cylinder Kawasaki. Once the Kawasaki is around mid range it's smoother but not as smooth as the Robbins.
The 2013 has a new belt and clutch. Maybe after its run in the belt will be better and not creep while starting the engine.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:55 PM   #7
Etu
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etu View Post
Thanks. You're right the pedal had to be more than 3/4 down before it opened the throttle. I adjusted out the slack and it starts much better and has better speed. Im sure the 2 cylinder Robbins 290 has a much smoother power curve than the single cylinder Kawasaki. Once the Kawasaki is around mid range it's smoother but not as smooth as the Robbins.
The 2013 has a new belt and clutch. Maybe after its run in the belt will be better and not creep while starting the engine.
After running a few hours the new belt and clutch settled down and work just fine.
Old 03-09-2021, 03:07 PM   #8
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Glad to hear it all worked out for you.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO