lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-19-2021, 12:13 PM   #1
Daytona_Joe_CC
Not Yet Wild

Default FE290 Minor Oil Leak // Fix or leave it?

I will start by saying the engine runs and sounds great.

A few days ago I noticed a drop of oil under the cart. Looked underneath and saw it was seeping through the front (2) of the (4) motor mount bolts and also the opening for the oil drain. Minimal, but noticeable.

I cleaned everything as good as I could with a shop rag a break clean, drove the cart around and couldn't really see where oil was coming from.

What I did noticed was half way up on the crankcase vent hose there appeared to be some oil that had splashed on it, but not a lot, and I couldn't find a source above it.

I took a few pictures and have added it to the thread.

Let me know what you think I should do? I am inclined to leave it until it gets worse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7808.jpg (128.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7811.jpg (130.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7812.jpg (170.1 KB, 0 views)
Daytona_Joe_CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-19-2021, 12:35 PM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: FE290 Minor Oil Leak // Fix or leave it?

Side cover gasket. If an FE290 is going to leak oil, that’s almost always where it will be. You would have to take the shrouds off the head area to see it . Be sure to replace the seal that goes behind the drive clutch while you’re in there.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 02:29 PM   #3
Daytona_Joe_CC
Not Yet Wild

I spoke to an old Alfa Romeo mechanic, he suggested I explore venting the cam cover back to the dip stick to help with the pressure.

Have you or have you seen anyone explore doing this?
Daytona_Joe_CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 03:42 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

It’s one of two things. It’s either the side case gasket or the o ring at the base of the dipstick tube. I’d try that first, it only takes 2 minutes to replace it. I just match it up with one in a bulk assortment I have.

If that’s not it, then it’s the side case gasket. I’d just pull the motor and replace it. It’s not worth the risk of running low on oil and wrecking the engine. Once they start to leak they worsen very very quickly to where they will empty the crankcase overnight.

No, venting anything won’t do anything. Your engine is already vented out the valve cover to the carb spacer. I don’t see what difference it would make venting it to the dipstick tube. If anything it wouldn’t effectively vent that way and make something worse.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 06:46 AM   #5
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Also, venting the engine to much will reduce the pulse effect the fuel pump needs from the crankcase to operate properly.
You might try tightening the side cover bolts a little if they are loose but still might have to bite the bullet and replace the side cover gasket
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:14 PM   #6
tlbright1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I just replaced the side cover gasket and seal on mine last year. It was a small leak at first and then within no time started blowing oil everywhere. When I took it apart, the gasket between the engine block and side plate was very brittle and had about a 1" piece missing. Just keep an eye on the oil level frequently until you figure out where the leak is coming from. I would not suggest changing the venting as mentioned before because it could cause other issues and issues with the fuel pump.
tlbright1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:17 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlbright1 View Post
It was a small leak at first and then within no time started blowing oil everywhere.

This is pretty typical. It’s a paper gasket. Once they get brittle and a little leak starts the crankcase pressure blows it out rather quickly
Old 06-13-2022, 02:17 PM   #8
Ad884206
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Anybody know a good video/directions for replacing the side gasket? I am planning on attempting this to my cart.
Ad884206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 02:36 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad884206 View Post
Anybody know a good video/directions for replacing the side gasket? I am planning on attempting this to my cart.
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=160310

Or just follow the service manual
Old 06-16-2022, 09:01 AM   #10
cartdoc1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I'd pull the engine and replace the gasket. It isn't worth a locked up motor.
cartdoc1969 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
club car, fe290, oil leak, precedent
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car