lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-21-2021, 07:10 AM   #11
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1986 EZ GO 2 stroke lack of power

Throttle cable doesn't look to be properly rigged.

The drive clutch is not closing all the way, and the belt is not climbing to the top.

Oil pump needs to go, Get rid of the banjo fitting. Plug the hole in the manifold with a 6x1mm screw. That needs to be airtight.

It sounds like the ignition is breaking up at higher RPM.

Post some still pictures of the carburetor. Closed, and wide open.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-21-2021, 07:53 AM   #12
Dstooker
Not Yet Wild

I uploaded the one pic i have of the carb just sitting. The tube going to the manifold is cut and has silicone on the end so it should be good and plugged. Brand new clutches but i think you are right about something being out of adjustment with them. Ignition could be cutting out but its all brand new. If anyone has live pics of their HEI conversion i would love to see them incase i missed something.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2C23BE1D-0587-4C73-96FE-7709FF6DA552.jpg (180.5 KB, 0 views)
Dstooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 10:43 AM   #13
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Nice gloves lol, ooops sorry.......'The house is moving faster then the buggy' Too funny LOL ....

That is no way to remove the oil injection system, silicone sucks and won't last. Like CA said above plug the hole in the manifold and remove the entire system completely. You even still have the cable for it on the carb lever too, remove it and the pump itself. It all needs to be gone.....

What octane gas are you using? Premium (high octane) gas won't make it run better, in fact it could be making it run worse. Stick with regular 85 octane, that's what it is designed to run on.

EDIT; after looking closer at the pic I see you have disconnected the oil pump cable from the carb, very good but get the pump off too. Eventually it'll run dry and burn up anyway
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 07:25 AM   #14
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Look at the steel plate that holds the choke cable between the carb and manifold. Do you have two gaskets there? it should have one on each side.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 01:13 PM   #15
Dstooker
Not Yet Wild

Someone before me has the metal shroud shimmed so the oiler doesn’t touch the shaft anymore so I just left it that way. By silicone I mean black gasket maker silicone not a household silicone. I run ethanol free gas in all my small motors which around here ethanol free is a higher octane.

As for the metal bracket inbetween yes it has a gasket on each side now. I noticed it was missing one before and made sure I got another one for it. Talked to the previous owner today and she said it used to run up and down the hills great once upon a time....
Old 05-23-2021, 01:43 PM   #16
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Ok, glad to hear the oil pump isn't connected and there is two gaskets on the choke flange. Just need to remove that Banjo fitting/oil line and replace with a 6mm screw to be sure it's not sucking air, I know it's a hassle but I'd change out to some good ole regular 85-86 octane gas.

Have you checked the compression lately since the rebuild? Might be a good idea
Old 05-25-2021, 09:42 AM   #17
Dstooker
Not Yet Wild

Did another compression test and its right around 105-110 but the pressure isnt holding so im taking the motor out and going to see whats going on. Brand new cylinder piston and rings should have more compression than that.
Old 05-25-2021, 10:24 AM   #18
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Actually that's not too bad of compression, the rebuild I did a few years ago on mine was about the same and it's still running strong. I had to tear it down due to crank bearings and seals, it still had 115lbs when I did.

But since I had to tear it down all the way I went ahead and did a complete rebuild figuring on getting back to the factory 120lbs, I was disappointed too.
Old 05-25-2021, 07:50 PM   #19
Dstooker
Not Yet Wild

120 factory compression? Just seems so low for a 2 stroke. So i pulled the motor and did a cylinder leak down test. There was a hairline fracture in the crankcase along with plenty air going by the rings. I’ll do another leak down test when i get the new rings and the fractures sealed up. Oh i also took the oil off the shroud... weight reduction lol
Old 05-25-2021, 07:54 PM   #20
Dstooker
Not Yet Wild

Also i made a little tweak to the timing. Plate wasn’t dead center with the bolts so I put it dead center. When i put the motor back on im leaving the shroud off so i can play with the timing.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO