lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-26-2021, 07:22 AM   #21
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1986 EZ GO 2 stroke lack of power

Well dingdang it, a fracture in the case sucks but nice find. Glad you're going to eliminate that oil pump, strange someone would go to the extra effort of shimming it to take it out of service but yet remove the oil tank lol... Hmmm, maybe they didn't want to forget where they put it?

Here's a pic of the screw to replace the oil Banjo fitting in the manifold, use a little gasket washer or an O-ring or some thread sealer. Clean!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 20170713_153140 (2).jpeg (156.5 KB, 0 views)
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-26-2021, 12:25 PM   #22
WADE NORGAARD
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

i notice you guys have 2 fuel lines going to your carburetors 1 for the fuel pump, where' s the other go??? my carb is different obviously
WADE NORGAARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 06:28 AM   #23
Dstooker
Not Yet Wild

Wade are you talking about the thin red/pink line coming off the carb? Thats just an over flow line. Just lays off to the side not connected to anything on one end.
Dstooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 04:47 PM   #24
WADE NORGAARD
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

i see, thanks. i'm ordering a new carb, it's the only thing i haven't replaced and they aren't as expensive as i thought. The current one is incorrect and the butterfly shafts are beyond sloppy. the only thing is my parts book lists carbs from 1980 to 87 then the next is 1989 to 93 or something and my cart is an 88 ??? which do i get, why don't they include 88?
Old 05-27-2021, 08:33 PM   #25
Dstooker
Not Yet Wild

Not sure what years were compatible but buggies unlimited has a carb specifically for a 1988.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:08 PM   #26
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

The 87, and older carbs are BV18. The 88 is a BV24. The 89, and newer carbs are completely different.

The BV24 combined with the 88 muffler gets 11hp instead of 9. It has a vertical choke shaft. The smaller BV18 has a horizontal choke shaft.

Don't buy a twenty dollar carburetor. They are junk.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 08:19 AM   #27
Dstooker
Not Yet Wild

All right I have an update. I sealed up the very small leak in the crankcase and through in a new seal on the clutch side. Put new rings in. Put it all back together and ran a little better. I decided to play with the timing. Well after trying about 4 different spots it ran the best all the way advanced. No mis fires or knocking. I still feel like it doesnt climb hills like it should so if someone has some time to share a video of their cart pulling a hill or atleast tell me the speed your cart drops down too that would be appreciated! So after checking speeds going down a flat road i was able to hit 18 mph in about 100-150 yards. It takes a bit to get there but before I was maxing out at 13 mph so Im gaining.
Old 06-03-2021, 10:41 AM   #28
WADE NORGAARD
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

good news indeed , did you not already have new crank seals when you originally rebuilt it or did you just run the old one(s) ? i have changed both mine but i've had a couple backfarts from it when i first got it running and wondered if the seals fail if it has backfired ? is there a way you can check them to see if they are sealing without pulling the motor? i did a compression test, 105-110.
Old 06-03-2021, 10:56 AM   #29
Dstooker
Not Yet Wild

I did replace them already. I bought a cylinder leak down tester and put it on and sprayed all around with soapy water and a lubricant i have that bubbles when air is coming through. Thats how i found my fracture in the side of the crank case. From everything i read 105-110 is pretty good. Mine was reading around 110 but wasn’t holding pressure so i changed the rings again and found the one seal leaking a tiny bit. I put the new seal in and it still leaked a tiny bit by the shaft when i had about 10 psi in the cylinder so im wondering if my old crank shaft isnt perfectly round anymore. So many things to check on such a small motor where something small can really affect things. That’s why I would like to see videos of these two strokes that run well just so I can compare because maybe I’m expecting too much out of a nine horse single cylinder motor.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:49 AM   #30
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

18 on the flat isn't too bad, mine tops out at about 21-22mph at 6000ft with 4700rpm........

I was at 1600ft a few months ago and got 23-24mph with 5300rpm, I was worried about over revving it so didn't leave it wfo very long....

This is with 18" tires

It's hard to do uphill comparisons as we'll never know if we have the same degree of incline, but I will say they all slow down quite a bit on a hill. I think you're doing ok now as long as the clutches are working properly to keep the rpm's up on a hill
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO