lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-31-2021, 06:02 PM   #1
jpbellis
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Time for batteries... now what?

It's time to replace my four 12 V batteries in my precedent. I recently upgraded the cart to an AC Navitas package and want to feed it the best possible power I can. I'm open to any options if there are some that are better than four new 12 volts. Are there tried and true upgrades? What would folks here do? If the answer is four more 12 v's then fine, but I sense that there are better options for me to consider. Please no Lithium, I'm not spending $6000 for batteries...
jpbellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-31-2021, 06:21 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Time for batteries... now what?

If your wallet and wife permit, lithium is the only option I’d consider. Only decision is choosing which lithium option...

I went with the 48v allied drop ins. They’re the same size as a regular battery, slightly smaller than the 12v battery. I’ve got 2 of them for a 60aH total pack capacity. I’m getting 30+ miles easy out of a charge with much improved performance. I picked this option because if I needed more capacity I can simply add more of the 48v batteries, I’ve got room for several more of them but personally don’t need it fir my use. I paid less than $2k for my batteries and charger. Then sold my old batteries, obc, and charger for about $650

Whatever lithium option you go with, general opinion is going with as many aH as your wallet will take.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 06:39 PM   #3
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

if your going to stay with lead acid then go with 6 8volts instead of 4 12's
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 07:30 PM   #4
jpbellis
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
Will they fit without crazy mods?
Old 05-31-2021, 07:30 PM   #5
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
I agree with that. The rule of thumb around here is to buy the most capacity you can afford. More capacity equals more range per charge and longer service life because if all else is equal the higher capacity battery will be discharged less before recharging allowing more charge cycles before end of life.

Club Car introduced the Precedent in 2004. All of them were equipped with 12v batteries. By 2008 they realized this wasn't ideal (law suits etc). 2008 carts were offered with 8v or 12v and by 2009 only 8v. They even developed a kit so people with the older carts could convert to 8v. There is a way to convert without buying the kit. There are threads about it in here somewhere.

Of course it is possible to find cheap 8v batteries that have the same or less capacity than the highest capacity 12v's. Premium 8v's will have more capacity than premium 12v's.

You could probably get some lithium drop ins with equivalent capacity to 170ah 8v's for 2-3K. Still a lot of money and in my area that's equal to 3 or 4 sets of flooded batteries.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 07:32 PM   #6
jpbellis
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
If your wallet and wife permit, lithium is the only option I’d consider. Only decision is choosing which lithium option...
Whatever lithium option you go with, general opinion is going with as many aH as your wallet will take.
I feel compelled to ask, even though I said lithium is out. How many batteries did you buy for "less than 2g's"?
Old 05-31-2021, 07:35 PM   #7
jpbellis
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
You could probably get some lithium drop ins with equivalent capacity to 170ah 8v's for 2-3K. Still a lot of money and in my area that's equal to 3 or 4 sets of flooded batteries.
Hence my point. I can spend what I like, I just choose where and 2-3g's for batteries isn't in any cards. Unless someone tells me they'll last 3 times longer.
Old 05-31-2021, 08:34 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbellis View Post
I feel compelled to ask, even though I said lithium is out. How many batteries did you buy for "less than 2g's"?
I have 2 of the 48v 30aH allied lithium drop ins for a total of 60aH. I went this route because plowmans had the best prices ($750/battery x2 on his website) and he’s local to me. Plus an 8 year warranty. I just went with 2 because I was perfectly happy with the range from my 4x12v setup in the lead acid. And if it didn’t, you’ve got a year or so that you can add another battery or two if you want more. I like the flexibility. But... I get twice the range I did before, plus it’s got more torque and I picked up about 3mph. No more checking water levels and you only need to charge it when you feel like it. Not every single day like lead acid. I usually only need to charge mine every couple weeks. Maybe once a week if I drive it a lot like this weekend (I tallied close to 40 miles this weekend and still was resting at 52v)

Yes I was a little hesitant spending that kind of money on batteries of all things, but I’m glad I did. I’ll never own a cart with LA batteries again.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 09:51 PM   #9
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I say it all depends on how you use the cart. I can't comment on lithium, still out of my price range.

But, the 4x12 setup is plenty for a lot of people. To go 6x8 you have to reconfigure the battery tray. Is it worth it? All depends on how you use the cart.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 06:13 AM   #10
Goober11
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
I say it all depends on how you use the cart. I can't comment on lithium, still out of my price range.

But, the 4x12 setup is plenty for a lot of people. To go 6x8 you have to reconfigure the battery tray. Is it worth it? All depends on how you use the cart.
Agree 4X12 setup has work for me. We use the cart at the campground and at home. A new pack is in the future (7 years old ) going back with the same setup.
Goober11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car