lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-07-2021, 04:22 PM   #1
felo72
Not Yet Wild

Default 88 EZGO Marathon Driven Clutch Hitting Differential

Hi all, I've been working on an 88 EZGO Marathon, 2 stroke. I've replaced the drive and driven clutch, along with the drive belt and starter belt a couple weeks ago. I've been fixing other issues along the way, but it was running really good today, then all of a sudden it started acting like the driven clutch was bad again. Would go, then stop suddenly, but not a complete stop, it was dragging. I put it up on jackstands to see what was happening, and noticed the driven clutch rivets were hitting and taking pieces out of the differential housing! What the heck could cause that? Is the differential bad, or did I miss a spacer washer, or did the driven clutch go bad? Thanks in advance for the help, I'm really scratching my head on this one.
felo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-08-2021, 10:47 AM   #2
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 88 EZGO Marathon Driven Clutch Hitting Differential

Wow, could you post up some pics?
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 09:25 AM   #3
felo72
Not Yet Wild

No problem, I'll snap some here shortly... Ended up taking the driven clutch off and verified something is definitely wrong with the differential. It's noisy spinning the shaft and with the drive belt off, I can't push the cart in either direction. I did a bunch of research and ended up buying a new/used differential off of eBay. I'm mechanically inclined, but don't have the tools for a complete rebuild and the parts are hard to find if the ring/pinion are messed up. While I'm at it, will be lifting it and putting new shocks on. Any tips on removing the rear differential?
Old 08-09-2021, 09:58 AM   #4
felo72
Not Yet Wild

Correction from above, the diff I was buying from eBay was for an electric model, not gas. So I'm curious if I called a shop, would they be able to rebuild it? Here's some pictures. Looking at the old driven clutch, it hit the rivets then, too. The bolt only had a washer on the front of the pulley, no washers behind it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210809_103424.jpg (214.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210809_103450.jpg (215.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210809_103513.jpg (212.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-09-2021, 11:22 AM   #5
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

So it's noisy spinning the input shaft but yet the wheels are locked up? Ouch!

There is no washer behind the driven clutch, just one on the head of the bolt.... I don't know if an electric diff is the same as a gas one but I would guess they are, or could be adapted to fit as long as it has the same spline for the clutch. Hopefully someone with more knowledge on them will chime in.
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 12:36 PM   #6
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Does the differential have oil in it ? and if so does it have that burnt smell ?
I have a parts manual somewhere in my shop but can't remember where I put it. I don't think they are same.

I know where a complete 1985 ezgo gas cart is. The cart has been sitting for several years. Not sure where you are located .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3199.jpg (141.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3200.jpg (148.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3198.jpg (157.6 KB, 0 views)
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 05:55 AM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Eeek! This doesn't sound good. I'm going to agree and say that you might have a bad transaxle. It might be able to be repaired but you won't know until it is disassembled and diagnosed. Sounds like the input shaft is stripped. Electric and gas models use a different transaxle.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 08:24 AM   #8
felo72
Not Yet Wild

Thanks everyone, appreciate the feedback and help. UPDATE - I pulled the diff cover and there was no oil or gasket. Looks like someone had the cover off before, and tried to use silicone to seal it, but didn't do a great job. There aren't any pieces busted off, just a bunch of steel dust. Ring and pinion look ok, but I think the bearings are shot. Do you know if cart repair shops would rebuild these, or should I start brushing up on my knowledge and do it myself? I'm missing a couple key tools, but sure I could figure it out. Looks like bearing and seal kits are pretty reasonable. The differential is sitting on some jackstands out of the cart. My biggest concern is doing the job without a press. Also, is it actually a Dana 30? Thanks again!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO