lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-18-2021, 11:15 AM   #1
Stone
Gone Wild

Default 2PG crankshaft solution.

I'm sure many have found this solution as well but I figured with as many people as there are with this problem, and no parts available, I would share what I found.

I spent a little time trying to find a machinist who would do one of a couple things for me, and here is what I found.

1. One local hillbilly who said he would turn it down, make a sleeve, freeze the crankshaft, heat the sleeve, and press the sleeve on with a final turn-down to spec. This was going to be a last resort.

2. Two machine shops who will weld it up and then grind it back down to spec. This is the route I am going, I just have to see who is the best/cheapest. One guy quoted me $160 and I am seeing the other guy tomorrow........ I am hoping for $50 and a case of beer! It's about two hours of work.
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-18-2021, 12:09 PM   #2
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2PG crankshaft solution.

Either way should be ok, IF it's a good quality job. We usually opted for the sleeve, always worried about warping or harming the integrity of the shaft with all the heat of welding..... Also, I would find a machine shop to press it apart and install a new rod bearing too....

Very flippin sad the new crankshafts are not available anymore, there's definitely a demand for them. When I rebuilt mine 3-4 years ago I got lucky and could still get them, although the entire country was backordered at the time. Had to wait a month or so for the slow boat from China to show up, then everyone had them in stock again but only for a short time.
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 02:20 PM   #3
Stone
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2PG crankshaft solution.

We talked about distress from the heat of welding and we believe that since we are turning it down back to spec that should resolve any shape change that could occur.

I am concerned about pressing out the balancing cam because with all the other work, welding and grinding, getting it back in the exact spot it was could be tough. And the rod bearing seems nice and tight.

Yeah, it's sad that there is the high demand and nobody wants to make it.
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO