lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-25-2021, 01:46 PM   #1
dawg1
Not Yet Wild

Default 48v Precedent - do I need new batteries ?

I have some occasional lurching on full throttle depression. After a few minutes of use the resting voltage is 50.2v but under full throttle it's only around 41.9-42v (after 5-10mins use). At rest they are all 8.42 or above, some above 8.5. Are these bad, replace immediately or nearly bad?

Thanks.
dawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-25-2021, 02:04 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 48v Precedent - do I need new batteries ?

Not enough information here to say, really. If your cart is stock then yes I’d say you’ve got a bad cable, connection, or battery. But if your cart has a 500A controller, performance motor, etc. then it wouldn’t surprise me to see it drop to mid/low 40’s under a heavy load.

Age of the batteries, water, and state of charge also play a large factor. Fully charged should rest at 50.9v or above. This is after they charge fully, disconnect the charger and let it rest for 12 hours, it should be 50.9 or higher. Specific gravity is also another good check, a gauge is cheap (around 10 bucks) and can tell a lot.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 02:11 PM   #3
dawg1
Not Yet Wild

Using one of those cheap harbor freight load testers, 5 of the batteries drop from approx 8.5 to 6.5 when I press the load button. One other drops to 7.
I had the 48v gauge hooked up to the whole pack but I guess I can go back and hook up to just one battery and see what the precise voltage is.
The cart is stock with the exception of lift kit and big wheels/tires.
After charging and resting overnight, it is over 51v though. It was 51.3 before I did any riding around this morning.
Old 10-25-2021, 02:21 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

How old are the batteries?
Old 10-25-2021, 03:18 PM   #5
dawg1
Not Yet Wild

Without too much digging of paperwork, I think about 5 years. I just thought the resting voltage would be lower if they were bad.
Old 10-25-2021, 03:43 PM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Bad batteries don't always show lower voltage when not under load. They often sag too much under load and lose capacity so you get shorter run times.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 03:50 PM   #7
dawg1
Not Yet Wild

Ok, will start shopping. Is 150ah sufficient for most people? The 170ah is another $31 per battery.
Old 10-25-2021, 04:03 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

It all depends on how you use your cart. Do you take long or short trips? Golf? Cruise the hood? Work/haul/carry stuff?

It’s becoming much more mainstream and thus affordable, but if you need to replace the batteries I’d give serious consideration into lithium. There’s a lot of drop in options out there and a superior upgrade to lead acid IMO. There is a significant jump improve between lead acid and lithium, but given the lithium will last twice as long as your average lead acid battery, it balances out pretty quickly. And there’s no maintenance charging, watering, or anything of the sort necessary with lithium. Just charge the cart when it gets low and otherwise don’t worry about it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car