lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-11-2022, 08:22 PM   #1
Retired70
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EZGO TXT battery charge meter fluctuating and cart won’t move.

I have a 2003 EZGO TXT series cart. Today while driving the cart just went dead, like I had turned of the key. The cart doesn’t move in fwd or reverse but I know the F&R switch and connections are good. Well here’s the thing, I noticed that without any accelerator inputs and F&R switch in neutral the battery charge meter needle swings from charge to discharge and back continuously. Never saw that before. And, like I said, that cart doesn’t move. When I press the accelerator the battery meter dips way into the discharge arch. Pedal switch, F&R switch and solenoid all responding to inputs. Nothing hot, no ozone smell. Burned up motor perhaps? Any ideas?

I tried to attach a video of the gauge fluctuating from my iPad but it won’t do it. With key off and in neutral the needle is usually in the white arch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6D539469-4DC8-4E3F-8BBB-A4B8154D544E.jpeg (962.6 KB, 0 views)
Retired70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-11-2022, 09:35 PM   #2
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO TXT battery charge meter fluctuating and cart won’t move.

My first instinct would say check all the battery connections. Weak connection will fail under slightest load.
Not to mention battery pack voltage after charge along with each batteries voltage after charge.
As they say, start with the basics and take nothing for granted.😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 09:47 AM   #3
Retired70
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I checked all connections to the battery pack, solenoid, speed controller, F&R switch and motor. There are no loose or corroded connections. Using a voltage meter I checked the battery pack voltage, over 36 volts.

Here’s what happened, I was parking the cart in the yard. I was pulling over a rut and the cart needed a little more juice to get over it. I gave it a little more and that’s when it quit. And that’s when the battery meter started fluctuating on its own. It never did that before.

It’s been my experience that when a cart fails to move that it’s the F&R switch that’s at fault. But never both directions at once. And usually a cart will let you know when it’s going to fail, like intermittent starts or a burning smell. None of this happened. I’m going to try a functional check on the motor this week if I get a chance. But does this sound like a wild goose chase? I have a spare F&R switch on hand if needed. When I see the needle moving like that I feel like there’s a short somewhere, but the only place that I can’t see is inside the motor.

Does this sound familiar to anyone out there?
Old 02-13-2022, 12:45 PM   #4
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I do not believe it is the F&R switch. Bad connection somewhere in the high current wiring including the batteries and all connections.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 05:25 AM   #5
Retired70
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

It’s been a while since I’ve addressed this problem. I have a second cart that I used while this one sat. So, the Readers Digest version of the fix is that I replaced the speed control unit. I obtained a used unit and swapped it out and problem solved. I also found out that this cart has a Plumb Quick entry level motor installed. The “Bandit” series. This upgraded motor could be why the controller failed, I don’t know. This cart was a gift, purchased for me by my daughter and son in law. That’s why I didn’t know about the upgraded motor. So that’s that until something else breaks.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO