lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-22-2022, 04:17 PM   #1
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 2000 ish EZGO TXT or Workhorse Driven Clutch Ramp Screws broken

Ok, I am trying to rebuild an older driven clutch. I have new ramps and screws, and no problem getting the driven clutch apart, but the screws that held the plastic ramp buttons in place are all sheared off. Is there any way to get them out? Has anyone ever had success? They are down there a bit, tried drilling one and using an EZOUT, but they are anything but easy to use, and I have never once been successful in using one. Last time I got one to bite, it broke. In this case, I can't get the EZOUT to bite on the screw. Can't get a dremmel down there to cut a slot for screwdriver. It has to be possible outside of owning a machine shop.

Thoughts?
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-22-2022, 04:54 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 2000 ish EZGO TXT or Workhorse Driven Clutch Ramp Screws broken

Use a welder and do quick zaps to build it up. The screws are steel and the clutch is aluminum. Once it’s built out you can try and use some vise grips or even weld a nut or bolt onto it from there.

Usually this works pretty well on bolts broken off in aluminum. Just use quick zaps so you don’t melt the aluminum. The heat usually helps to break them free as well.

If that doesn’t work then your only option would be to just drill them out or just get a new clutch. Couple hundred bucks sometimes is better than the aggravation of fighting a losing battle for hours and just getting PO’d
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 05:28 PM   #3
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Only have a stick welder...two are flush with the surface, one is a bit high. Good idea on the high one for sure...I should be able to put a nut on there and use a small diameter electrode. The other two, maybe lay a nut over the nut and try to fill the hole? It's not possible to weld the steel to the aluminum, correct? What is the likely hood of blowing the hole out by melting the aluminum around the steel? I need to get a MIG welder. One of these days.
The good news is that I have a brand new 28 degree clutch on the big block cart already, so just going to swap them out for now and see if the clutch is causing the problem. 1-1/8" wide at the widest part on a OEM EZGO belt should suffice, correct?
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 07:12 AM   #4
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Welding a small flat washer on them will penetrate better with the arc closer to the stud than down through a nut, then weld a nut or bolt to the washer for easier removal.

Edit: Mig welders are cheap enough on places like FB Marketplace, Harbor Freight or Northern Tool or Princes Auto up north have them pretty cheap as well.
Get it, you will never look back!!!
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 11:05 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I've used the nut trick before on an aluminum head in a truck. Worked perfectly. And I second the mig welder idea, best thing I ever did. Can't tell you all the stuff I have fixed with my mig over the years, plus all the fun stuff. So much easier on the smaller and tight stuff than the stick welder.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO