lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-26-2022, 01:56 AM   #1
Matthewb69
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Only sparks when making solenoid clicks

91 marathon with Robbin 295 4 stroke. New pulsar, igniter, coil pack. All new OEM parts. So as soon as it starts turning over you hear the solenoid click and that’s the only spark it gets. A very faint yellow in my spark plug tester. I’m at my wit’s end. Since I can’t get it running how do I test solenoid and voltage regulator?
Matthewb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-26-2022, 05:51 AM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Only sparks when making solenoid clicks

The solenoid and voltage regulator have nothing to do with spark. OEM igniters are no longer available. I highly doubt that you managed to find one.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 10:34 AM   #3
Matthewb69
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Do you know how to test the igniter then, I replaced it was one of those identical it was already on there I had it running a few times but it just intermittently
Old 02-26-2022, 10:37 AM   #4
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

To answer your question on the solenoid, if the starter motor keeps turning after the spark, solenoid is working fine as it is simply a relay, using low current 12v power to close a switch for high current 12v power to the starter. Voltage regulator serves no purpose until it is running and the starter becomes a generator.

Likely a bad ignitor or loose connection. You said you get one spark. Does it keep turning over, and just doesn't fire? Look closely at the pin connectors from the pulsar coil and at the ignitor. Those pins get loose and make poor connections. Loose or poor grounds are the most overlooked issue.

What is the history of the cart? Original engine to the cart, or was it replaced? Should be a pre-MCI engine. You cannot mix and match MCI and pre-MCI electrical components except that you can use a MCI coil on a pre-mci engine, but not the other way around.

What was the original issue that killed the cart?
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 02:56 PM   #5
Matthewb69
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

It’s the original motor, pre mci. I bought the cart not running and went through every ground connection and sanded,cleaned or replaced all. Pin connectors are gone and everything is hard wired and soldered well. It sparks at first crank and keeps on cranking. But by feathering the gas pedal I am able to get a spark here and there. It started a couple of times a few weeks ago but no more. But when it sparked and started my spark plug tester glowed bright white.
Old 02-27-2022, 12:04 AM   #6
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Locate the microswitch operated by the gas pedal under the floor mat and remove the wires and connect the wires together with a jumper wire. Then try again. The starter will turn as soon as you turn the ignition on, but you may now see a spark. If so replace the switch. I have seen these things go bad enough to affect spark but still operate the solenoid. As already stated, OEM parts for the ignition are very rare indeed, so I doubt you have bought OEM. Ignitor cannot be bench tested. If you still find no spark after jumping the microswitch. Follow the wiring for it and check all connections. A high resistance may allow enough current for the solenoid but not enough for the ignitor to operate. This is particularly relevant if there is or has been moisture in the plastic box where the switch is.

Also, make sure battery positive goes to the solenoid and negative goes to ground. It is easy to get these the wrong way round. (We have all done it lol). Good grounds are also critical, so make double sure they are all good.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO