lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-11-2022, 11:35 PM   #11
B Swan
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Best suspension for hills?

I would love to get a set of dual rate leaf springs. But I haven’t been able to find any for a Marathon, and I don’t have the know-how to make something lift. Now, if the difference is in the number of springs, ie 2 springs on normal, 3 on dual, and 4 on heavy duty - then I’ll look again.

I haven’t seen a long travel kit for a marathon, either. I’ll be thrilled to find an a-arm lift kit. At least then I could have independent suspension. As of now, I’m looking at getting a drop axle kit.

What about shock absorbers? I’ve seen heavy duty shocks, no coil overs though.
B Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-13-2022, 11:12 AM   #12
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you get coil over's you'd be double-sprung and stiff as all get out. You'd have coil springs and leaf springs and a broken back from the bumps!

I would go with no shocks or light shocks. The shock will slow the suspension response and for a golf cart I really don't think they'r especially useful. I ran my old marathon without shocks.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 01:49 PM   #13
B Swan
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Okay. So far I got -

1 - normal or dual duty leaf springs. NO heavies.
2 - springs OR shocks. NOT both.
3 - 18-20” tires on 8-10” wheels, 12” max

Is it possible to get independent suspension on a Marathon? Front and rear? There’s a mechanic in the family, so I feel just this comfortable modifying an a-arm kit from to fit my marathon.
Old 03-13-2022, 04:44 PM   #14
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

You are overthinking this. Go with 20 or 22" tires on 8" rims for the best ride, 10" rims will be a little harsher but not unbearable. Stock shocks and springs to start. If it won't handle the loads placed upon it, it is easy to add another leaf to the rear. For off road/pasture speeds, you'll be fine. Remember that it will never be a full race quad or side by side with multi link adjustable suspension that can fly over rough ground at 50mph.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 06:15 PM   #15
B Swan
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks guys! You’re great!

So, to cap things off: don’t overthink it!
Old 03-14-2022, 06:45 PM   #16
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Agree with above advise. You don’t want to coil overs as you will just making ride harsher. Coil overs are for suspension without leaf springs as coil overs are the spring.
No shocks also good idea. Shocks only dampen how fast springs compress and rebound so no shocks may help allowing cart to absorb bumps quicker.

Larger diameter tires with more sidewalls, added rubber of taller sidewalls act as dampers that springs won’t under bumps.

Keep in mind this is a golf cart meant to ride on smooth grass Not off road side by side. Only so much can be done with this platform.
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO