lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-06-2022, 05:18 PM   #1
hotdog
Not Yet Wild

Default Carburetor problem?

You guys have been a great help in the past and I'm hoping you can help again. Long story short, my cart was not running so I just put on a new carburetor. Didn't help. Took it off and put permatex on the gasket. Now it runs poorly. Makes little difference if the adjustment pin is all the way in or all the way out. Runs better when I hold in the choke-in. Seems it's getting to much air
Also, have oil coming out the breather tube from the engine.
hotdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-06-2022, 08:26 PM   #2
buggyAl
Getting Wild

Default Re: Carburetor problem?

Sounds like an intake air leak. Spray a little carb cleaner around the assemled unit while running. If the engine speed changes it is an air leak. Using a straw on the carb cleaner can will help identiy the location of the leak.
buggyAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 12:59 PM   #3
hotdog
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for your advice. I did what you said. Unfortunately, I could not find a leak. When I run it in neutral the engine surges. When I run it under load it has no power. I thought the air leak might be around where the carb mounts to the engine so I took it off and re-permateted it to no avail.
Old 06-07-2022, 03:42 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Is it an oem carb or Chinese aftermarket? How full is your oil and does the oil smell like fuel?

Is the airbox installed and the lid sealed? Have you adjusted the valves? Do you have spark? If you hold the spark plug against the valve cover bolt what color is the spark? What makes you think it was a carb problem?
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 04:22 PM   #5
Ramchargin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I learned the hard way many years ago that these are draw carbs, not pass through. Had a very similar issue as you and bought a new carb, no difference 200 later. :-( Found out that after I did the lift the elbow hose to the carb intake had come loose and I couldnt tell. Reattached with a stout hose clamp and bam! She was back in business running like a champ. Moral of the story, these engines have to have a negative draw from the air system to run.
Ramchargin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 09:01 PM   #6
hotdog
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Is it an oem carb or Chinese aftermarket? How full is your oil and does the oil smell like fuel?

Is the airbox installed and the lid sealed? Have you adjusted the valves? Do you have spark? If you hold the spark plug against the valve cover bolt what color is the spark? What makes you think it was a carb problem?
Not sure what the new carb is. What makes me think it is a carb problem is that when I hold the choke in it runs better. If I spray gas directly into the cab without the air filter on it goes like a jackrabbit.
Old 06-07-2022, 09:06 PM   #7
hotdog
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramchargin View Post
I learned the hard way many years ago that these are draw carbs, not pass through. Had a very similar issue as you and bought a new carb, no difference 200 later. :-( Found out that after I did the lift the elbow hose to the carb intake had come loose and I couldnt tell. Reattached with a stout hose clamp and bam! She was back in business running like a champ. Moral of the story, these engines have to have a negative draw from the air system to run.
What is the elbow hose? Is it the small hose that comes off the carb?
Old 06-07-2022, 09:18 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Are you getting enough fuel to the carb? Take the fuel line off the carb and put it in a jar. Make sure you’ve got good flow. It won’t fill it “fast” but you should see a noticeable pulse of squirts as the engine spins. 30 seconds should put a fair amount of gas inside a jar.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 07:37 AM   #9
Ramchargin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdog View Post
What is the elbow hose? Is it the small hose that comes off the carb?
Yes, then up to the airbox. You do have your entire air intake system attached correct? As I said, the air intake system on these is designed to induce a draw on the carb, not simply clean the air. If you have left one part or or the system from choke to carb isnt sealed it will do exactly what your explaining. Also you mentioned messing with the adjustment screws, if you dont know exactly where they were set and now seal up your system that could be your problem.
Ramchargin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 09:55 AM   #10
hotdog
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramchargin View Post
Yes, then up to the airbox. You do have your entire air intake system attached correct? As I said, the air intake system on these is designed to induce a draw on the carb, not simply clean the air. If you have left one part or or the system from choke to carb isnt sealed it will do exactly what your explaining. Also you mentioned messing with the adjustment screws, if you dont know exactly where they were set and now seal up your system that could be your problem.
When the cart ran that hose was not in the airbox. When I put it in the airbox it does not run at all. I have the set screw at two turns out.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car