lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-12-2023, 05:20 PM   #1
daveinfl33777
Not Yet Wild

Default I bought a Frankenstein cart and I need some serious advice on what to do

Cart is fine it just is a little slow for my liking. 11 to 12mph is as fast as I can get it. It has an ezgo body but says made in china on it so not a true ezgo...curtis controller model #1243-4301...it is 300amps and 24-36 volts...I don't even know if it is programmable or anything I can do to get more speed out of it....I would be thrilled if it went 18 to 20 but really I would be fine with even 15mph...11 to 12 is just a touch too slow

The motor is 4 hp and says mod zdt3-36b....it is 36 volt motor

I am new to this so I have no idea what I can do...keep stock controller and upgrade the motor? I don't think that will matter because the controller is what is controlling the rpms of the motor no?

Was thinking about getting a used curtis (but newer model than my current one)and putting that little speed chip in (jumper wire)
daveinfl33777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-13-2023, 11:44 AM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: I bought a Frankenstein cart and I need some serious advice on what to do

Look at face of the controller for a 4 pin square molex port. If so it should be programmable. You might be able to turn it up with a Curtis handheld.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 12:37 PM   #3
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: I bought a Frankenstein cart and I need some serious advice on what to do

Or....just direct wire the pos and neg batteries to the motor. Put in a kill switch.....hope for the best......
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 08:40 PM   #4
daveinfl33777
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Look at face of the controller for a 4 pin square molex port. If so it should be programmable. You might be able to turn it up with a Curtis handheld.
I will but how much is the curtis handheld? And how can I confirm that I will get more out of it before spending the $ on the handheld....my batteries are reading 37.5 volts but maybe I need to load test them?
Old 05-14-2023, 06:32 AM   #5
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

37V is DEAD. You need optimally 40V or 39V to run without issues. Otherwise you burn controllers up.

Speaking of Frakenstein cars, ever seen a "Turducken" car? We once dealt with someone who made a golf car out of an EZGO, Club Car and Yamaha. It was a mess. didn't run and we couldn't make it run.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 07:20 AM   #6
daveinfl33777
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
37V is DEAD. You need optimally 40V or 39V to run without issues. Otherwise you burn controllers up.

Speaking of Frakenstein cars, ever seen a "Turducken" car? We once dealt with someone who made a golf car out of an EZGO, Club Car and Yamaha. It was a mess. didn't run and we couldn't make it run.
I thought I saw a battery chart that states 38.2 is fully charged for a 36 volt system...
Old 05-14-2023, 07:31 AM   #7
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinfl33777 View Post
I thought I saw a battery chart that states 38.2 is fully charged for a 36 volt system...
You didn't state when you took the voltage readings on the pack or with what type of device you used.

I'd look at testing the voltage using a Multimeter, and test it 24 hours after it's done charging.

Load testing is never bad.

Testing the water with a Hydrometer is never bad.

Do these things (at least the voltage check with a MM and the water with a hydrometer) and then post your results.
Old 05-14-2023, 07:53 AM   #8
daveinfl33777
Not Yet Wild

Ok how exactly do I load test? I tested with a basic MM....

I tested it for what I believe to be fully charged but I have a timer charger so I really don't know...I should probably charge for longer and see if I can get more of a charge than 37.5

How do I test the water?
Old 05-14-2023, 11:40 AM   #9
DaveTM
Gone Wild

https://www.homedepot.com/p/MIGHTY-M...RO-A/321057265

You may find a less expensive one. Directions are usually included & easy to follow.
Old 05-14-2023, 04:02 PM   #10
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

A timer charger you want to let it run 10 minutes and see where the ammeter sits at. If it's sitting at 20 or more, you want to let it go the entire 12-16 hours. You'll learn to use it properly eventually. If all the batteries are good, you will ultimately have the ammeter sit around 3-5 amps (there's usually a green band on that side of the ammeter for that reason) when it's time to disconnect it.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts