lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-28-2010, 08:39 PM   #1
onewildvine
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 96 club car choke to go?

I have a 96 club car that needs the choke pushed in slighty before it will take off, Both forward and reverse. The car sat for about a year before I bought it. I had the carb cleaned and gas drained down added new gas w/ additive. Still doing the same thing thinking about using a premium gas?
onewildvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-28-2010, 11:31 PM   #2
jiminpa
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 96 club car choke to go?

I doubt premium is going to make any difference. What octane are you using now and what octane do they consider premium in your part of the country. I have seen some places that will call 89 premium & 87 a plus grade while 85 is the regular grade. If you get a "ping" on acceleration, you may benefit from going up a grade in octane, otherwise, you are likely wasting your money if you buy premium. Try running some carb cleaner or injector cleaner with the fuel. Does it need choke regardless of how long you have been running the cart? Has anything else changed? did you take a look at the air cleaner? If mice ate holes in it, it may not provide enough vacuum. These carts are designed for that amount of resistance, often if you remove the air cleaner the cat will not run right at all. also, look for a vacuum leak around a carb gasket.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:16 AM   #3
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Ummm... except... I'm a bit "fanatical" about my cart, I always use Premium (91/92 octane) fuel in my cart!
(with a slight mix of Seafoam Engine Treatment)

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
jiminpa
Gone Wild

Club Car

Lockman1, Yea, I used to have a 1100 Suzuki & a Mazda RX-7 that I would only run 93.5 octane in. I am sure it made them just a bit faster and I think I may have gotten a bit better MPGs. But now, I'm not so sure anymore. I know the compression on the Suzuki was high enough that I needed at least a 91 to avoid pre-detonation, but, I think those rotary engines in RX-7s actually do well on regular grade fuel. I think if your running stock, the benefit may be barely noticeable unless you're running a performance vehicle with high compression or something from the late 60s early 70s where you could actually find some motors with 10+ to 1 compression in non-sport cars.

I do like some of the oil and gas treatments that are designed to keep things clean and well lubricated, an old favorite of mine is "Marvel Mystery Oil", like "Sea Foam", it's been on the market over 80 years.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Yep! I've used MMO! good stuff!
but for some reason, Seafoam works the best in my 2 cycle weed whacker,
for the last 15 years, I've used Premium and Seafoam in everything... except my vehicles!
(lawn mowers, weed whacker, leaf blower, snow blower, cart... you get the point...)

And onewildvine... a couple of other things you might want to try...
A new spark plug, air filter, and fuel filters... they make a heck of a lot of difference!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:37 AM   #6
onewildvine
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks Guys You are a big help. I will take the advise given and do some filter changes and gas upgrade first, I'm sure it could stand it. I'll get back with ya. Ithink that 92 is our premium.
onewildvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:58 AM   #7
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

If you have to choke it it is lean to much air
or fuel shortage. It may need anougher carb cleaning.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:39 PM   #8
tpg
Gone Wild
Club Car

Check the throttle shaft for wear. It may be sucking air around the shaft and causing a lean condition.
tpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car