lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-13-2011, 09:59 PM   #1
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Default 97 Club Car DB Solenoid

Hi, i have a 97 Club Car DS 48V with a V-glide and two solenoids (Regen II?) that has one solenoid with a large resistor going from A2 and the controller. the controller is one i have never seen before, not the silver box but a large black one mounted on a spar that is visible if you remove the access cover at the rear. i read someplace here that you can eliminate it by cutting the small activation wires and just hooking the white wire that used to go to it to the motor A2 port thereby bypassing it. i did that and i got on and i lurched then a puff of white smoke came out and a hisssss.

somehow it fried my controller. now i have got it running again, but basically it is a resistor cart now. i only have one speed, WOT. but i have only lot-drove it. i am curious. since the old resistor carts had smaller motors and only 36V, would a 48V with the 3.1 HP motor be a bit faster with resistor speed control? (without the speed controller, there is nothing keeping it at the usual ~14 MPH it was limited to?) i plan to build this up a bit, adding slower speeds and in the more distant future a bigger motor, just wondering if eliminating the speed controller would improve speed as-is?

also, why would removing and bypassing the DB solenoid have fried the controller? wouldn't it be the same as the solenoid itself closing when it was there? or did the large resistor coil somehow protect the voltage to the controller itself acting as a suppressor? the resistor was hooked to the large solenoid posts so it reminded me of a rather large pre-charge resistor.

Here is a picture of the controller. my cart is the ONLY one i have seen with this oddball. all i did was bypass the DB solenoid and BZZT it went poof. still curious though why it happened, and if there will be a WOT speed improvement without it. i had previously disabled the regen by pulling the speed sensor out but it always seemed to stop acclerating after ~14 mph, as if the speed controller itself was holding it back downhill.

nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-14-2011, 06:12 AM   #2
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 97 Club Car DB Solenoid

Your "black box" controller was recently discussed in another thread. Seems there were two controllers utilized at that time. I am sure someone with the knowledge will assist you soon . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:04 AM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

thats the controller i have in one of my carts ( powerdrive plus ).........yeah the one we ended up fighting about when i told the fellow make sure the cart didn,t have that one..........it was only used for 2 years i beleive and its quite expensive like 700.00 bucks.....its also a peice of junk but thank C.C. for that.....as for the reagan solenoid it should not have done anything to controller and that resistor is just to disapate heat like the old resistor carts.........when your reagan brake comes on that coil will get cherry red...........i can,t tell you why your controller did what it did all i can really tell you is a cart with that controller is different in a bunch of little ways to the exact cart with a silver controller.......oh and theres also an issue if you want to just drop an aftermarket controller in...........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

I had that same crappy controller also in a 95'. I gutted the cart, put in an MCOR, 36V series motor, 36V series F/R, 1 HD 48V solenoid, 48V alltrax NPX4844 controller and 6X8v US batteries. Runs 25mph on stock 18" tires. Can't wait until I get bigger tires.
Colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:02 PM   #5
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

thanks all, for now i got it going with just one speed and i found a conversion kit for this type that has an adapter harness and such to convert it to the silver box.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:23 PM   #6
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
thanks all, for now i got it going with just one speed and i found a conversion kit for this type that has an adapter harness and such to convert it to the silver box.
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:05 AM   #7
shotzy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
If you dont mind could you post a link to that adapter.

Thanks
shotzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:44 AM   #8
kantuckian
Gone Wild

Good Info
kantuckian is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car