lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-02-2013, 10:32 PM   #1
MAD-DOG
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Stock controller VS ALLTRAX

I usually work on Clubcars but ive been seeing lots of EZGO DCS carts 95-98 this season with blown controllers and ive replaced them with stock units . From all the reading ive done Its from low voltage in the BATT PAC.. When I look at the controllers its the B- terminal thats melted .??? So the big question is does the Alltrax controller offer better protection to the unit than the stock CURTIS? Also has anyone came up with some type of fuse protection ? And whats the lowest voltage you should let a pac go down to to prevent it from happening .

Please ed-u-ma-cate me.

MAD-DOG
MAD-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Stock controller VS ALLTRAX

The DCS controllers (Curtis 1206SX) had no low voltage cutoff, so running them with low voltage will kill them, but I don't know the exact minimum voltage level.

The Alltrax DCX controllers not only have the needed protection, they turn a DCS into a speedy cart (About 20MPH on stock height tires) with a lot of torque.

As for fuses, they are basically fire protection devices and electronic gadgets usually release the magic smoke they run on before the fuse blows.

Last edited by JohnnieB; 09-03-2013 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: Corrected Curtis model number
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
MAD-DOG
Gone Wild

Club Car

OK so what model would you reccomend for the DCX controller as a direct replacement ? Any programing required ? And is it direct plug and play or do I need to add any solenoids
Old 09-03-2013, 07:54 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The NPX300 (300A Non-User-Programmable) is the direct replacement. (Plug-n-Play)
The stock solenoid is only 85A, which is pretty puny, so putting in a 200A solenoid wouldn't hurt.

The DCX400 (400A User-Programmable) with a 200A solenoid is a common choice. It is also Plug-n-Play. In fact, the DCX/NPX controllers were originally designed as replacements for the 1206SX controller and wiring adapters have to be used when replacing a 1206MX controller.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:08 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The DCX400DCS control is a plug n play replacement. You need to replace the solenoid with HD model just like you do on the club cars. We use pkg # 505 = 400 alltrax and HD solenoid for 36 - 48 volts for $455. You will get about 35-40% increase in torque and about 5 mph plus or 20 mph top speed. The DCS cart is a very reliable all around cart once fitted with this kit and good 4g cables through out.
They actually produce more speed than a series cart and more torque than a PDS drive.... Set your customers up with the #505 pkg and be confident in the results.

I would stay away from the NCX controls as they are not recommended for anything other than direct replacement which means no off road, no rear seat, no big tires, just golf.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #6
MAD-DOG
Gone Wild

Club Car

If I get the 505 package does it come with the diod and resistor ?

MADDOG
Old 09-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #7
Knothead
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD-DOG View Post
If I get the 505 package does it come with the diod and resistor ?

MADDOG
Almost positive all of Scotty's packages come with the diodes/resistors!
Knothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knothead View Post
Almost positive all of Scotty's packages come with the diodes/resistors!
yes they do.......if you buy one of his solenoids, its ready to go.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:22 AM   #9
eflyguy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yup! You get everything you need. I can vouch for his package, made a big difference in how ours pulled up hills after just switching the controller and wires.

You *must* do the wires, though - all of them. Getting to the motor is simple, the top connection is under that rear black plastic plate (5 screws) and the bottom is easy if you jack up the side of the cart *and put it on axle stands while you work on it*. It's even easier if you take the left-rear wheel off.
..a
eflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #10
MAD-DOG
Gone Wild

Club Car

10- 4 I will try one you guys talked me into it ....

MADDOG
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO