lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
grhopper
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Considering 2008 RXV

I've come across a 2008 RXV for sale. The current owner is asking $2,000 for it. It looks to in excellent condition based on pics of it that I have seen. I asked the owner about the batteries, and he said that he's never replaced them, but he's not the original owner, so he's not sure if they have been replaced before. $2,000 seems low for a 2008, and I was wondering if the RXV is a model I should stay away from, or if this is just a bargain. Also, is there any hidden extra costs that I should know about as for as higher priced accessories compared to other carts? I would need to add a light kit, rear seat, probably a radio, and possibly a lift kit. The other cart that I'm considering is a 2003 Club Car DS. It will have new batteries, and will be about $300 more. Thanks for your help.
grhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-16-2013, 10:36 AM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: Considering 2008 RXV

I am a CC guy, but from what I've seen on here, the pre 2010 RXVs have major brake problems, causing them to stop working completely...

The DS sounds like a better deal with new batteries, depending on the condition of the cart of course...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
mike777
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

[QUOTE=grhopper;943999]I've come across a 2008 RXV for sale. The current owner is asking $2,000 for it. It looks to in excellent condition based on pics of it that I have seen. I asked the owner about the batteries, and he said that he's never replaced them, but he's not the original owner, so he's not sure if they have been replaced before. $2,000 seems low for a 2008, and I was wondering if the RXV is a model I should stay away from, or if this is just a bargain. Also, is there any hidden extra costs that I should know about as for as higher priced accessories compared to other carts? I would need to add a light kit, rear seat, probably a radio, and possibly a lift kit. The other cart that I'm considering is a 2003 Club Car DS. It will have new batteries, and will be about $300 more. Thanks for your help.[/QUOT

seems everytime i'm on here there's a new thread " RXV problems/ help" or something, just sayin'
mike777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike777 View Post
seems everytime i'm on here there's a new thread " RXV problems/ help" or something, just sayin'
Yeah, I think the problem is that they are using a new technology (AC drive system) which is great, but like any other new technology, it is going to have its bugs that need to be worked out over time. The RXV is a 1st gen (so to speak) product, so it has several bugs...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I have seen many RXVs and the 2008 was the first year. They had issues with the electric brake on the side motor and the solenoid that is used to activate that brake. Quite a few of those were replaced and the way to tell is the new style brake has no handle on it. If it goes bad it is roughly a $225 part. The other issues I have seen are the lower bushings in the front A arms. Cheap fix but they wear. And they are hard on the rear axle hubs. The cart does not have a conventional brake so the hubs take a beating. Jack it up if you can and see if anything "moves". If that is not an option, drive it and make some tight figure 8s. If you hear clicking coming from the rear sides the hubs may be loose and need tightening or replacing. If the batteries are original I would be surprised but there should be a number stamped on the - post that indicates the year.

IMO, All in all they are decent carts once the issues are fixed. They ride well, will run low 20s with 20 inch tires and pull well. As for price, 2K is a little steep around here but the EZ-Go plant is 20 miles from here..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:53 PM   #6
grhopper
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I've read about the brake problems, and that is something that scared me a little. On the other hand, I was thinking that if it hasn't gone bad yet, then it may not ever go bad, but if it has gone bad, it's already fixed, and shouldn't go bad again.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #7
redking
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I must have one of the good 2008 RXV's. Not a single issue. Like anything else you bomb around on, TLC is always a must to avoid problems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0839.jpg (187.7 KB, 0 views)
redking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #8
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

The brake assembly will go bad at some point in time. May take 10 years but it is a brake and they wear. My point I guess was they are not terrible to replace. Three 10mm bolts, and wire harness connection and replace. Just wait till it cools off :) I've owned 3 RXV carts and have had 1 brake fail, 3 hubs and 2 sets of front bushings. Now mine are coming off of golf courses so they may be ridden a little harder but just saying.. Other than that they have been good.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:05 PM   #9
grhopper
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

went and checked it out tonight. the body and everything was very clean. Batteries were H8, so original Trojan T-1260s (If I remember correct on the model number). The cart had a lot of get up and got to top speed great. I didn't get a gps speed reading, so not sure what the top speed is. The owner had had it about 2 years, and said he just spent about $200, on getting the charger rebuilt. I liked the cart, and am trying to decide on a fair offer to make. Have a couple of questions for the experts. Since I don't expect the batteries to last much longer, should I factor in the cost of 4x12, or is it better to convert to a 6x8? is there much of an expense for the conversion over the cost of the batteries? Is there enough room to go to 8x6 or is that not worth the trouble? Also, to make an even comparison, how much should I factor in for adding a light kit? I feel I can do that myself, so cost of parts is all I'm worried about.

The club car dealer has the 03 ready for me to go test drive, so I'd like to be able to go in there with a pretty good idea of which i would prefer before hand.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #10
catmcaw
Gone Wild

grhopper
I bought a 2008 RXV about 3 months ago. I went around to several local dealers and test drove everything they had. It seemed to me the RXV had more torque/power than the others and thats what sold me.
I found my RXV that was pretty much straight off the golf course on EBAY and so far I'm happy.
I learned a lot just going to the dealers and asking questions.
catmcaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO