lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-06-2014, 09:52 PM   #11
robbiescd
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1999 Gas Club Cart

It's hard getting that belt right with the exhaust sitting right there. Try turning your clutch, you'll feel it give and come out of compression cycle. Then see if it spins. The good news is that your starter is spinning!

I'm a Mississippi boy, so I came up with a redneck way of tightening the belt. I take off back inspection plate, swing a ratchet strap around a beam in a barn, feed it down to the starter and wrap it around the starter. Then ratchet it up until the belt is right. Not the way the manual says to do it, but it works for me!
robbiescd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-07-2014, 07:58 AM   #12
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

llc...

I'm curious about how you adjusted the belt!
Did you just rotate the belt on the pulley and drive clutch to a different spot to see if will grab?
or...
did you loosen the S/G mounting bolts, and slide the S/G towards the back of the cart to tighten the belt?

I mean no disrespect with this question... but, something isn't right here!

And IF... you adjusted the S/G by loosening the mounting bolts,
and slid the S/G as back as far as it'll go and the belt still slips, you need a new belt!
Any V-belt... Club Car, or an auto parts store work just fine!
but, the auto parts store belts are less expensive, and readily accessible then an OEM Club Car belt!

Your belt size should be 3/8" wide X 34 1/2" long,

again... no disrespect with my question!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:30 PM   #13
llc77
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thumbs up Re: 1999 Gas Club Cart

I will order a new club cart belt as I bought this one from local dealer and it may not be a club cart belt but generic brand. I have the start generator pulled as tight as it will get as this is a new start generator that I installed about 6 months ago. I just hope it is the belt causing problem as they are about $13.99.
llc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:54 PM   #14
llc77
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thumbs up Re: 1999 Gas Club Cart

Lockman I just loosen all bolts and slid the generator back as far as it would go, I did not rotate or turn belt on the pulleys, your are not disrespecting me as I am a newbie with gas carts as I have had a few electric carts in past. Thanks for any information as this is very annoying trying to fix this problem. Thanks for information about belts as I will try to get new one tomorrow from parts store. I just finished playing in Memorial golf tournament today for friend that was killed a few years ago, last time I talked to you it was bad weather and no different today as tornado sirens and a T-Storm is happening now. I appreciate all your advice. Thanks
Old 06-08-2014, 08:49 AM   #15
llc77
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Robbie: What ever works on tighten up the S/G as you need three hands on this engineering set up. Like you said exhaust in the way also. I'm hoping I stretched the belt as it was squealing at times but never hit the right spot to start. I will get new one today at parts store to see if that helps.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:56 PM   #16
kantuckian
Gone Wild

Good Info seems like every time i put a new belt on i get the cart back in a week or so note i use belys from Nivel and i really make them tight dont know if belt is streatching or what
kantuckian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:01 PM   #17
robbiescd
Getting Wild
Club Car

This may be a dumb question to ask. If you take your starter belt off and turn the clutch manually, is it REAL difficult to turn? This may be be way off, but I overhauled a 1993 motor from ground up. I had a problem with the starter not being able to turn the motor over. I mean it was extremely difficult to turn it over by hand. To make a long story short, I tore back I to engine and found that it was the crankshaft bearing. My issue was that I was sent an incorrect crankshaft bearing (inside diameter too large) and the crankshaft was binding. I don't think you have the wrong bearing, but wonder if it may be going bad??? Just shooting in the dark here.
robbiescd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:09 AM   #18
llc77
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks to all that helped me with my problem. I got my son's help as he could hold a crow bar tighter than my wife. We line or turn the clutch until we got lucky and hit the right spot. I was able to tighten the S/G belt a lot tighter and bingo, it is starting at the first try, runs great starts every time in either forward or reverse. I almost went to town to buy new belt but decided to give it one more try and the belt seems ok now. Really appreciate everyone's comments.

Tags
gas/clutch problem
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car