lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-24-2014, 04:13 PM   #1
colu41
Getting Wild

Default Ignition problem?

Now that I've got everything else in order with my cart, I"ve got one last problem that came to my attention.

Now all I've done was pull the motor. Never messed around with the front body, ignition or any other wires. But now, when say running in maintenance mode, turning the key to the off position doesn't kill the motor? Is this normal in maintenance mode? I believe I had to actually put it in gear before it turned off (foot off of pedal of course).
colu41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-25-2014, 04:41 AM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: Ignition problem?

Again, running the cart in maintenance mode means nothing more than being able to put the cart in neutral and run the motor by pushing on the gas pedal. If your motor is idling or running on it's own without pushing the pedal, this is not how these carts are supposed to be run. It's possible that the previous owner modified your cart to idle and operate the way a car does. Which is fine, many guys do run their carts this way. But in stock factory mode, every time you let off the gas pedal, the motor should shut off.

If you want to shut off the motor without shifting the cart into gear, you could just trigger the microswitch on the backside of the shifter with your finger and it should shut off. This would be the microswitch furthest from the shifter, that rides on the little yellow plastic cam.

Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:12 PM   #3
colu41
Getting Wild

In regular drive mode it goes and stops with the pedal. Just in maintenance mode or if I unplug the motor kill switch wire....Either way no biggy. Was just curious. I just don't understand regardless what mode the carts in, if the motors running, the key should turn it off i would think.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:47 AM   #4
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

My cart and everyone else I know's cart runs the same way in maintenance mode that it does in driving mode. I'm not sure why yours would have that issue.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:15 AM   #5
colu41
Getting Wild

Hopefully the shop will have my starter done today so I can put her back together, and run it. I'll see what happens. lol

The day I drove it around last week I took the motor kill wire off so it would continuously run, because of the starting problem.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:48 AM   #6
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

So what's the good news?
Old 09-30-2014, 05:06 PM   #7
colu41
Getting Wild

Got the starter back. For some reason my starter had a huge pulley on it compared to every other,one ive seen. So i replaced it. He was only pushing 1 amp with the large pulley. Said he got 20 with the small one. Is 20 enough? I know these starters are rated at 25.
Anyways. Got it in. And rode it around for awhile yesterday. But then found out my regulators bad. Lol. So that will be here friday. All else is good other than the keyswitch thing but. Thats not a big deal.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:23 PM   #8
colu41
Getting Wild

New regulator is in.
Took it out today again. Tested the volts at the regulator was still around 16. But the voltage at the battery was perfect at about 15. So I took it for a 10 minute ride. Came back home. Let it sit a bit, then took it out again to make sure it started. All was great. As I got back in the driveway, started bogging down, I smelled something burning, and parked it. The starter was boiling and smoke was barreling out of it. Wtf is going on?
Freshly rebuilt starter motor, everything is wired exactly to manufacture specs. Brand new regulator... whats the deal here? Do these things just not handle longer rides?
Old 10-07-2014, 10:42 AM   #9
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

No, they handle long rides just fine. You shouldn't be having these issues. Maybe there's something wrong with the way s/g was rebuilt? Polarity reversed? Maybe the guy who rebuilt it didn't build it to spec? Just spitballing here. Maybe the wiring inside the s/g is backwards and it's not charging? I've never had mine apart so I can't really tell you what to look for...
Old 10-07-2014, 02:50 PM   #10
colu41
Getting Wild

Well that's the strange thing. After further testing. It was charging the battery fine. The battery was testing about 15.3 at full throttle. So the S/G was pushing a charge. And the new regulator must have been working properly. It was starting, stopping, starting fine while riding. Seemed perfect. But after the second longer ride the thing just burnt right out. I honestly hope its the starter so I can just buy a new one and be done with it. Otherwise I have not a clue what else could be wrong. I'm going to run through all the wiring hopefully today and clean it all up but. If its running fine at one point I don't see how dirty contacts or anything could all of a sudden cause a burn up in the S/G.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car