lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-08-2014, 08:00 AM   #1
southern exposure
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Cuts out after top speed

OK, I've got a new to me 98 CC DS gaser. I bought it from my in-laws. It had been sitting in a barn for past 2 years. I've done some maintenace work. Oil & filter, fuel filter, air filter, greased all fittings and I had to tighten the starter belt as I was getting some slip on startup. FE290 motor.

Problem...

Once i hit top speed, (i guess govenor kicks in), cart cuts out and wont run. (by wont run, i mean no response from motor at all when pushing gas pedal, I do however hear starter spinning) I coast to a stop, give it about 20 seconds, pat the gas couple times and it starts up and runs fine as long as I dont hit top speed. Top speed is around 23-24mph, as long as I run no faster that 21-22 it seems to run fin w/ no issues at all. Also, when it dies and Im coasting to stop, if I try and give in gas, I will get an occasional back fire.

I never noticed this before maintance work. Is this how the govenor is supposed to work.
southern exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-09-2014, 04:38 AM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: Cuts out after top speed

The governor shouldn't be letting the cart go that fast, 23-24mph is the top ungoverned speed for most of these carts. Someone has probably zip-tied your cart's governor, completely disabling it. What's likely happening is your rev limiter is kicking the motor off when you push the motor that hard. If you're going to run the cart that severe on a normal basis, you're going to destroy your motor.

I've run my cart up to 22mph just once, to test the limits and see how fast it would go. After that I'm content to run it around 17-18 mph as my top speed.

If you want to go faster than 20mph on a normal basis, you might want to upgrade your motor.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:13 AM   #3
southern exposure
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks... I will check for the govenor. Definitly dont want to damage motor. Thanks again.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:55 AM   #4
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Governor will be at the back of the motor under that access cover behind the seat. Look for zip ties. You can cut those off, add new ones in the same spot and cinch them up them little-by-little until you get the speed you want and still be safe.

It sounds like your in-laws may have zipped up the governor all the way, and unless you are the only one driving it and can control your pedal foot, your motor could be toasted pretty quickly.

I have the governor on my cart removed, but I'm the only one who drives it 99% of the time, plus I can hook the governor back up in 5 seconds if I let someone take it without me. But the governors on the 1984-1991 carts are different than the one on your '98.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:01 PM   #5
southern exposure
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks springbok... I will check it out this afternoon.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car