lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-12-2016, 03:17 PM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Controller upgrade

The 1k resistor does not stay connected to the cart. It is a simply a tool I use when I reconnect the last high current cable, or when I discharge the filter caps in the controller. (Or the capacitor in a battery charger)

If the cable(s) on the controller's B+ or B- terminals have been disconnected long enough for the filter capacitors to discharge, when you reconnect the last high current high current cable, you will get a spark when the cable end touches the terminal it is being connected to.

Despite having a pre-charge resistor installed, if the filter caps are significantly discharged, you will get a spark.

To reduce the intensity of the unavoidable spark, I use two generic jumper wires with alligator clips on the ends and clip a resistor between them. Then clip the other ends to the cable end and terminal it goes to. Electrically, I'm adding more resistance in series with the pre-charge resistor to further limit the inrush of current to the filter capacitors. During normal operation, the pre-charge resistor only has to cope with the filter capacitor bleed rate while the solenoid contacts are open. When the capacitor are fully discharged, the pre-charge resistor by itself will allow enough current flow to cause a visible spark.

FWIW: A XCT-PDS controller like I now have, does not use a pre-charge resistor, it keeps the filter capacitors charged by other means. However, I used (when I remembered to do so) the clip leads and resistor routine when I was running a DCX controller.

BTW, the cold resistance of a 60W 120V incandescent light bulb is about 13Ω while the hot resistance is about 240Ω.

The pack voltage being less then 120V, the bulb will never reach its hot resistance value and even if it did, you would only be doubling the value of the pre-charge resistor, so the spark reduction wouldn't be as much as using a 1k or higher value resistor.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-01-2016, 09:23 PM   #12
Helirich
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
There are two fuses on the main positive battery terminal. One about 50A that the charger wire connects to. The other a 400A that the main B+ cable connects to.
My stock cart had a 60 amp fuse on the charge circuit. But there were was no fuse on the main circuit. I'm not sure I understand the fuse on the main circuit. Isn't the controller the fuse? If you need a fuse on it, what about a 500 amp controller? Wouldn't you need a 500 amp fuse? As I understand it a 500 amp controller will allow quite a bit more for a short time.

In any case, if I need a fuse for the main circuit, (500 amp controller) where do I get one? I checked a few sites and only found the 50-60 ones.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:16 PM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

1. There are slow and long burning fuses. A long burn 400a fuse is plenty for a short burst of 600a -

2. These fuses are said to be designed for catastrophic event... Honestly I have seen the catastrophic event where the cart burned but the fuse did not. Secondly no other controller manufacture utilizes a fuse. You decide how crucial it is.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:28 AM   #14
rottie
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

One more time...
I installed a 400Amp ANN fuse for catastrophic events.
All fuses and circuit breakers have a time/current data sheet to go with them, ie.. a 400amp fuse does not magically blow at 401 amps.
Different types of fuses and breakers have a different delays before trip.

I am attaching a example sheet for you viewing.

Ahhh got the ANN data screen shot and data sheet attached.
Attached Images
File Type: png fuse-time-delay.png (53.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png ANN FUSE DATA.PNG (111.5 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bus_Ele_DS_2023_ANN-400 598373.pdf (209.6 KB, 0 views)
rottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:11 AM   #15
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

My Alltrax controller (from Scottyb) came with a 400A fuse which I installed. From my extensive electronics experience, that fuse won't protect the controller from damage but it might keep the system from having a meltdown.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:30 AM   #16
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

These Alltrax controls have built in reverse polarity protection. DIYers have tested the design. I have seen the top blown off the super 400 solenoid when the main + and - were connected to solenoid mains. The controller and the fuse survived.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:00 AM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Fuses and Circuit Breakers are fire protection devices rather than equipment protection devices and they don't always prevent fires.

When I exploded a stock PDS motor a while back, it took out the DCX400 controller, but not the ANN250 fuse.

Attached is a larger copy of the graph that rottie posted.

The easiest one to see is the ANN800. It shows that the "Very Fast Acting" 800A fuse will pass about 1050A (130% of its rating) for about 100 seconds (1.67 Minutes).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Opening current for ANN fuses.jpg (142.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-02-2016, 11:57 PM   #18
bjbbiker
Getting Wild

JohnnieB, Ive been searching threads for the XCT48500 (just got one today) setup but havent found much. Any chance you could take some pics of your wiring? Like where does the run/tow switch go? and the diode install etc
bjbbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:35 AM   #19
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Tip-- I've gotten in the habit of covering the battery bay with an old yoga mat, only exposing what's being worked on. Gotta keep those amps where they belong.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:24 AM   #20
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbbiker View Post
JohnnieB, Ive been searching threads for the XCT48500 (just got one today) setup but havent found much. Any chance you could take some pics of your wiring? Like where does the run/tow switch go? and the diode install etc
I don't have any good pictures on my install, but scottyb posted some pictures of one of the many possible ways to mount the Run/Tow on the solenoid bracket in Post#72 of the linked thread: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...t400pds-8.html
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO