lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-11-2016, 08:08 AM   #1
mrlittlejohn
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Converter questions for install and brand

I am going to recommend a converter to a friend for her cart and to take back the accessory battery she just replaced.

She has a stereo on her cart and does not play it loud, but likes tunes. She has standard lights, but I am going to recommend a LED kit to reduce battery use. She does not drive it a lot at night, but it could be helpful to lower the current drain.

I am an Amazon junkie and found a gauge, light kit, a battery meter and 36V to 12V converter there for a decent price. They have good ratings overall, but the converter has a few bad reviews that alerts me. It is a 4 out of 5 star overall and is made by Supernight. I have read a few comments and threads for Sure Power and DPI being good, but don't know what experiences people in this community have with the Supernight converter.

Any and all comments are welcome !

Thanks in advance,
Mike
mrlittlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-11-2016, 08:14 AM   #2
270Handiman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Converter questions for install and brand

See the response from ScottyB in your other thread
270Handiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:22 AM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The Supernight ones I just looked up on Amazon are junk.

A good converter should use considerably less input current vs output current, otherwise You will be better off with a separate battery.

Also, since she has a Radio, look for the models with "constant" power out like the Madjax units.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:25 AM   #4
mrlittlejohn
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I did see his reply after I posted this.

I don't think a 30A converter is needed with the LED lights and a stereo at standard listening levels.

I did find a DPI with a single output for $89 from DPI. It is 20A, but I don't see her using more than 5-6A at any given time.

I will throw these ideas out to her and let her decide what she can do financially right now. Maybe go with the less expensive unit to start and upgrade to the DPI later. Maybe she will go DPI now.

Thanks for the input !
Old 04-11-2016, 08:49 AM   #5
mrlittlejohn
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

OK, looking at the DPI converters, I see single output and dual output versions. The single is a switched on/off and the dual is a continuous and a switched. The dual version would be what we would want for a radio use also. Thanks for pointing that all out.

I just got off the phone with her and pointed these ideas out to her. The dual output DPI would be what I would do in her shoes. It is almost a wash in the price of the accessory battery they sold her, which is a cheapo little junk sealed battery. She would no longer need to maintain a second power charging system to forget and eventually ruin that battery from forgetting.

I see the Madjax on Amazon. That is a 360 watt and 30A unit. The DPI is 300 watt and 20A, which should be fine. At the same price, she will be best with the DPI. I did ask her about her light use and she said she hardly ever uses them as I thought.

Again... Thanks for your inputs !

Mike
Old 04-12-2016, 02:37 AM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Never had a single trouble with the dpi dc/dc convertors i have installed.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO