lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2016, 09:42 AM   #1
7fa
Not Yet Wild

Default Ez-Go Loose Steering

Have a 2009 Bad Boy Classic which has very sloppy steering. I understand this cart is built from an Ez-Go cart...

When I crawled under to see what was wrong, I noticed there is alot of slop in the "Ball/ socket" joint shown in the close-up pic. I also included some other pics showing the overall steering box.

I went to the buggies unlimited website, and they sell a new box as well as a rebuild kit. What I don't understand is the one that looks like mine is listed as a 1994-2000 Ez-Go TXT model. Since mine if a 2009 I wanted to make sure i am ordering the right parts.

Is it ok to replace just the "outer rack ball", or does it make more sense to buy the entire rebuild kit with the steering rack and pinion??

Thanks!

7fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2016, 11:34 AM   #2
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ez-Go Loose Steering

Looks like the one on my 96 txt.

I would weigh the part or the whole replacement tby the cost of the parts?
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:31 PM   #3
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Might as well get the rebuild kit. Most of the rack and pinions are worn out from lack of maintenance anyway

Your BBB axle requires the old style frame-mounted steering box. The newer style steering was placed on the front weldment on 01 and up carts. The differential housing is in the way of the later racks.
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:36 AM   #4
7fa
Not Yet Wild

Update...

Ordered the TXT rebuild kit (rack, pinion gear, and outer rack ball) and pulled the steering box yesterday.

The outer rack ball was worn out as I anticipate, and the bearing on the pinion gear shaft was also very rough. No visible wear on the pinion or rack...

So commence cleanup, regreasing and reassembly when I realized the parts don't fit..

- Replacement rack appears identical, but is slightly larger OD and won't fit into the bronze bushing

- Replacement pinion gear and bearing ODs are ~ .020 larger than the originals and won't seat into the housing. The retainer is also threaded on mine as shown in pics

- The outer rack ball looks similar, but the male threaded shaft is too small to mate with the threaded female hole on the original rack.

My takeaway here is although the steering box looks almost identical to pics i see online of the TXT, I must have a slightly different model. Externally, the only different I see is mine has a threaded plug to adjust the tensioner instead of a bolted plate. Pics below..

The only marking I see on the rack is a very weak number stamped into it which look like 60618?? Would this be the part #? Any idea how I confirm what I have and how to get parts for it?

Old 06-05-2016, 09:19 AM   #5
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Does bad boy buggy or any ezgo parts suppliers not offer parts support for this model or your trying to find the same part cheaper for a different application?
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:47 AM   #6
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

OK, you got me there.
I'm stumped.
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 01:08 PM   #7
7fa
Not Yet Wild

I'll try to call EzGo/ Bad Boy tomorrow and see if they can help, but I'm just trying to get the right parts to put it back together.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO