lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-31-2016, 06:49 AM   #1
Walrus127
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Cart stops running

Two weeks ago I had to replace the controller on my Ezgo PDS cart due to a wire shorting out on the solenoid post.I have used the cart to play golf since without any troubles. Yesterday I went for a ride on the golf course with four adults. After riding most of the course the cart started slowing down like the batteries were dead and just stopped, but after allowing the cart to sit for about 10 minutes it went back to running and ran all the way home at full speed. It was like something had over heated and once it cooled down it went back to working. Now I'm wondering if the solenoid is breaking down or some other part. Any suggestions as what this might be would be appreciated.
Walrus127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-31-2016, 07:35 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Cart stops running

what you stated in your post was most likely THE cause.....lets assume that your carts drive system is totally stock. Then take into account what a stock cart was designed for, which was to carry TWO adults and their clubs. Thus by modifying your cart by putting a back seat on (if you actually have), or at least loading up 4 adults on the otherwise stock cart, but a larger load on it than it was designed for. Many controllers (depending on the model) have a THERMAL SHUTDOWN built in to prevent irreparable damage from over-heating. SO....your cart was protecting itself and did exactly what it is designed to do, and why it acted like it did.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:39 AM   #3
mjroman20
Gone Wild

Try putting the vehicle into diagnostic mode and running it until the issue starts up again.

With the key off and tow/run to run, Toggle the direction from neutral to reverse and back 5 times. It will beep a few times to tell you what mode you're in and any current faults. From this point while operating if a fault occurs it will produce a code with the buzzer. For example 3 buzzes, a pause then 2 buzzes would be a 3-2 code. I don't have a list of what they all mean on hand but I'm sure someone here does.
mjroman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:46 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Sounds like the controller went into thermal shutdown.

The load capacity for a stock PDS cart is 800 pounds and with four adults onboard, you may have been approaching or exceeding that weight.

If the terrain was hilly, ,the motor draws more amps and more heat is generated in the controller as well as in the motor.

If the tires are taller than 18", the motor will draw more amps and the controller will get hotter.

------
Here is the PDS label, it list the error codes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDS Label on Controller Cover.JPG (142.9 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by JohnnieB; 05-31-2016 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: added info
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:20 PM   #5
Walrus127
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the info. I do have a rear seat and the golf course has a lot of hills. I have played golf every day since this happen with no issues.
Walrus127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO